help overclock my Maximus Formula - 1st timer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default help overclock my Maximus Formula - 1st timer

I built this system a little bit ago and haven't tried to overclock yet. Now that I'm up and running, I'm ready to give it a shot. I'm really hoping that someone will be kind enough to hand-hold me through the process.

MB: ASUS Maximus Formula X38
CPU: e8400
RAM: 2x2 1066 (OCZ Reaper)
Video: ATI 4870
Cooler: Thermalright Ultima 90

Let me know if you need more info.

The MB has the "Extreme Tweaker" feature that I have no idea how to use. Everything defaults to "Auto". I'm not sure what to set to specific values and what to leave as auto.

I'm not looking to push to extremes, just want to give it a shot. I've done some searching and haven't found anything that walks me through it.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
I feel funny...
Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj
Default Re: help overclock my Maximus Formula - 1st timer

The best advice I could give you w/ that board is just to leave most options on auto and manually raise fsb and manually raise the cpu vcore. After you've gotten a nice comfortable oc you can go into bios and check the system monitor and write down the voltages the auto feature is using and manually bring them down and check for stability. I would also read up on the terms. A x38 bios isn't the best to learn how to oc on and will seem overwhelming at first.
Closed Thread