help with my electrical circuits setup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default help with my electrical circuits setup

Hi I hope some in here can help me

Right now is my computer on the floor which makes it difficult to vacuum around it.

Therfore i have been started making a stand for the computer with wheels under. However, there is a problem now where I need mod my accessory: P

I've tried to paint my setup. The blue dots are diodes, and the long purple squares is cold cathodes
kontakt is Danish and means switch or power button.

It all runs through Molex 4-pin

I do not know if the dimmers will work. because its normally 230V and i only have it because i got some electrical goods back from upgrading my room

The Dimmer is this one:
Kennig Touch lysdæmper f elektronisk trafo hvid

The switch is this one: » Modding » Gehäuse-Modding » Schalter & Taster » Lamptron Vandalismustaster 16mm - Blackline - blue » Bewertungen

The setup:

Do you think the setup will work?

Hope people will give some rice and praise, since I'm just a beginner

PS. sorry for my bad english

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Content Team
Default Re: help with my electrical circuits setup

Well the circuit setup is fine, but i'm not sure that dimmer will work. How much does the dimmer cost in $$ because you could get a fan speed controller that would work with your circuit.

EDIT: not really sure how expensive this is to you but you could use it to dim the lights

- Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz 1.33v -
- G.Skill 4Gb DDR2 @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 -
- XFX 5850 @ Stock -
- Gigabtye GA-G33M-DS2R -
- Intel X-25V 40Gb Solid State -
- Corsair 520HX 520Watts -
- Cooler Master CM690 -
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: help with my electrical circuits setup

By diodes you mean LED's right? LED's are light emitting diodes, regular diodes don't make light.

If you do mean LED's, you can't run them off of 12 volts directly. I would run the LED's off of the 5 volt line (red line) and even then you have to include a resistor in series (a 150-250 ohm is good for most LED's) unless your LED's are some sort of pre-packaged LED module, in which case give it whatever it is designed for.

Also, I wouldn't recommend dimming pre-made modules. A lot of modules (that have an integrated power controller or something as opposed to just a plain LED) require a certain voltage for the regulator or controller to function.

If you did want to make dimmable LED's, I would personally recommend building a controller based around a microcontroller. It's more advanced but you can control it using a program on your PC. I'm making a fan controller that has dimmable RGB (red-green-blue) LED's, meaning it can change color. The total cost for parts is probably around $10-15 USD including the fan and LED's.

Closed Thread