Help my 7-year old comp out =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wootwoot

In Runtime
So I just want some more "performance" outta this ol' piece of crap. I've never done this before so can someone walk me through it =D.
Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
447 MB RAM (weird number)
VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Don't know much else about it.

Pull a gun out and shoot it. If you want some performance out of it, your going to have to do a lot... So I would personally recommend either buying a new system or building one. Either way you win...

BUT... what do you do with it that you want to upgrade?

Based on the specs it is most likely a 939 socket with onboard graphics. Run CPU-Z for the full motherboard info. Most likely you are looking at a new mb, ram, cpu and gpu. What is your budget?

Edit: what type of weapon would you recommend nukem?

lol I was referring to what weapon would be the best to shoot it with. I am thinking full automatic.

But back on topic what will you use the computer for and what is the budget? We cannot do much without that info.

lol I was referring to what weapon would be the best to shoot it with. I am thinking full automatic.

But back on topic what will you use the computer for and what is the budget? We cannot do much without that info.

An AT-4 they are disposable like the PC.

Based on the specs it is most likely a 939 socket with onboard graphics. Run CPU-Z for the full motherboard info. Most likely you are looking at a new mb, ram, cpu and gpu. What is your budget?

Edit: what type of weapon would you recommend nukem?

There is no AMD XP for socket 939, plus 939 came out less than 5 years ago so it wouldn't be in a 7 year old computer. Would of been nice for him if he did have one since you can upgrade to a dual core with one. But he most likely has a Socket A or maybe a 754 but those aren't even 7 years old.

In any case to the OP your basics of overclocking are to
find out what temps your system can handle (look online for your cpu),
go into the bios and raise the fsb up a little,
boot the computer up and test stability with a program like prime95 and monitor temps with a program like coretemp,
if its not stable but is running cool enough then add some voltage to the system (your need to figure out which things to raise by trial),
If you overclock the ram then run memtest86 to check that for stability(you need to make a bootable media like a floppy and boot into it)
repeat until you reach the highest safe speed you can then back down a little to ensure everything will be ok.

Yeesh this sounds scary. I think my comp will die if I add volts to it lol...guess I'll go gun shopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom