Help with motherboard upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help with motherboard upgrade

Okay, I have to admit to being new to upgrading motherboards...I usually just do minor stuff to my system like new drives, sound cards, memory, video cards...etc.

I bought a new system in January that has an Athlon XP 3200+ and later this year I would like to upgrade to an athlon 64 so I can take advantage of 64 bit software as they start to release it. Since my motherboard supports Socket A processors, I need to upgrade.

My question is, how can I tell if a board will fit into my case and is there any other considerations I should make like, will my HD, DVD-ROM, etc will be compatible?

My current motherboard has the Nvidia Nforce 2 chipset and the board I really have my eye on is an Nforce 4 chipset…don’t know if that would tip me off in anyway on size and mounting of the board…

Thanks for any help....

Old 03-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
PC Cutie ^_^

most cases now-a-days are designed to fit all types of mobo's. and you should have no problems with the drive compatibility.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That sounds good, thanks....I just thought of another questions though...

Granted after a motherboard upgrade I will have to update divers, is there usually a boot problem when you boot up the first time after upgrading? If so, is it easier to just format your HD and start over like that?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
PC Cutie ^_^

Quote:
Originally posted by magickalshadow
Granted after a motherboard upgrade I will have to update divers, is there usually a boot problem when you boot up the first time after upgrading?
A little while ago I was swapping parts with 2 of my computers(actually I think I was swapping the cases... but anyway.)... during the process I lost track of which HD belonged with witch mobo. When I got them put back together and turned them on there was an error in the boot screen that said something like “mobo has been changed” or something... I hit enter and it continued booting. It loaded windows and worked just fine...

I did not do anything with the computer other than turned it back off and re-swapped the HD’s so I cant tell you if there would have been driver problems with devices I was not using.... but .......

Quote:
Originally posted by magickalshadow
If so, is it easier to just format your HD and start over like that?
formatting and re-installing windows is always the fastest way of fixing things. I would rather spend 45 minutes re-installing windows than days looking for “fix-it” programs on the net.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for your help...

I really have my eye on a specific board but I am open to second opinions...so is there any specific Athlon 64 board you reccomend?

I really have my eye on this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...938&CatId=1619
Old 03-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was just told that since I have an E-Machines case, I can't upgrade my motherboard without buying a new case. I am not sure this is true since I have, what appears to me to be a standard Micro ATX motherboard. Shouldn't I just be able to buy a new Micro-ATX board for my case? This is my current MoBo:

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/FIC/AU31/

I want to doubt this since the person that told me this also told me a few weeks ago that I can't have DDR DIMM RAM because it had to be either DDR or DIMM but not both...lol
Old 03-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

e-machines suck donkey balls.

buy a new case, mobo and rebuild.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Um..yeah.....anyway, anyone have some real help to offer?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Shadow,

Unless your eMachine is a lot bigger than mine, the mobo you're looking at will not fit. From what I have seen, eMachines use micro-ATX cases, and will only hold a micro-ATX mobo.

What model number is your eMachine? I have a W2040. I can look up the specs on your system, and see what it says.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I realized that I needed a Micro board after I looked at the specs. I have a T3256...

thanks for your help

Closed Thread