Help me shop for a computer... please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex81388[/i] [b]I would recommend going Intel on this one. But that's just me said:
I don't think having IDE drives for Raid would be optimal.... (I'm pretty sure that the drives on sale at best buy were IDE)

By the way, look into dual core. The 4200+ ones are pretty cheat, 525 for OEM.
Yea they are all IDE drives. I looking into a Raid setup pretty much for for back up purposes... im not very good about backing things up... and i recently had a hard drive crash on me, and lost a lot of music id written over the last 2-3 years... so i thought having an exact copy of that drive would've been handy...

I dont know if its possible or not, but i wanted to have 2 drives, a (a C:\ and a D:\) each with a back up copy of itself... one drive would be used for my OS, games and regular junk... and the other would be dedicated to music recording...

Also, i dont know much about dual core computers... does anyone know of any comparisons of Dual core vs single core chips?

Pentiums would work better for audio recording and are geared more towards applicable tasks. Meanin WORK. The way I always figured it was AMD for PLAY and PENTIUM for WORK. Thats just me though. If yuou need a nice case that includes p/s keyboard mouse etc I just listed a new one in my shop the other day. Hope the build works well for ya!

I'm a little confused... Ive heard the same thing... That Pentiums are more for work and AMD is for play... but what makes the pentium geared more for work? what makes the AMD more for games?

the chip architecture that AMD implements make it more efficient for gaming. Since Intel uses really high frequency, they are really good for video editing and etc... The new AMD processors are also good video editing and stuff, I am refering to the dual core processors.

I dont think that you will have the money for the dual core AMD right now, and they arent really worth it, because they are basically the first of their kind, and with time they will get better.

The stuff that you are going to be doing I would recommend a pentium 4. I would also recommend nothing higher than a 6600GT since you wont really be gaming.

ok... i decided to put together 2 different systems on paper... one intel and one AMD... and hopefully, i will be able to get some feedback on which one is better for my purposes... i'd like to get each system down on paper before asking everyone's opinion on which path would be better... but right now, i cant decide which CPU to use for my Intel blueprint... so far, for my Intel computer, i have this....

MoBo: Asus P5WD2 Premium
RAM: Kingston 1GB (2x512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
Video Card: Radeon: Asus EAX800XL/2DTV/ 256 Radeon 800XL

total cost: $686... so that leaves me with about $300 for a CPU and Power supply if i want to stay under my $1000 budget...

The choice of CPUs is between...

Intel Pentium D 820 (Smithfield Core) 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 x 1MB L2 Cache... does NOT support Hyperthreading. cost: $252

Intel Pentium 4 640 (Prescott Core). 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache... Supports Hyperthreading. cost: $271

please keep in mind that because im going to be recording audio with this, i'd like to keep the computer as quiet as possible... so keeping it cool is important...

anyone have any suggestions as to which CPU would be a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom