Help me shop for a computer... please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
Well as the subject states... Im shopping for a new computer and would like some help... Im going to build my own but this is my first attempt at doing so... Im hoping to spend around $1000 to get the components... I have an ATX case, 2 asus CD-R drives, speakers, and monitor already.... so that $1000 is pretty much going toward the guts of it... MoBo, CPU, Memory, Graphics Card, Power Supply... and i might be forgetting something so if i am... i need to get one of those too...

The main purpose of this computer is going to be recording and editing audio... I know that AMD outperforms Pentium chips for gaming, but what about something like this? also, because im going to be using the computer for audio recording, i would like to keep it quiet... might be interested in H2o cooling... but i dont know enough about it...

I do some gaming but im not too hardcore about it... i dont play a whole lot of 1st person shooters... im more of a guild wars type of guy... with that said i would still like decent performance if want to run a game at 1600x1200...

for my audio interface ive already decided to get this... (system requirements listed on the link)
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2211&category=754&maincategory=754&nav=requ

Any help/advice would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

oh yea... i bought some extra memory a while ago...... but i dont remember what it is... is there a way i can find out what kind of memory i am using without taking this computer apart?

Search for some past posts. People post on this topic every single day.

DFI motherboard-
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor-146
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT-121
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive + Thermaltake Sata Cable-65
Microsoft Windows XP Home w/Service Pack 2-92
Mitsumi USB2.0 Digital Card Reader/Writer W/FD INTERNAL, Model FA404A/404M-20
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169

3x Antec LED80XFAN 80mm Blue LED Light Cooling Fan-24

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply-57
I'd get this case comes with 2 fans, 1 side, 1 top.
mount 1 in front and 2 in rear. for total of 5. But you already have a case, so the fans is up to you.

If you have monitor,lcd,keyboard/mouse, and speakers then use what's left for a bigger hard drive.

oh yea... i forgot to mention i have 4 WD 120GB hard drives already... They were on sale at the local best buy for $40 after rebates... :)... Im considering setting up a RAID system, but Im not sure which one...

also what do you think of your Asus SLI-Deluxe?

I was actually thinking of going with a set up really similar to yours...

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 3700+ San Diego
Asus EN 6600 GT/TD/128
not sure what memory yet though... do you use 1 stick of dual channel memory? or 2 seperate memory sticks?

What do you think?

Dual channel = two identical sticks. Otherwise, you just have a total RAM of the two added together.

Trotter said:
Dual channel = two identical sticks. Otherwise, you just have a total RAM of the two added together.

Same size, not identical. I can easily run some kingston and ultra (elexir) memory in dual channel.

I would recommend going Intel on this one. But that's just me, and I'm more of an AMD guy.

Take advantage of DDR2, and get an aftermarket quiet cooler.

I don't think having IDE drives for Raid would be optimal.... (I'm pretty sure that the drives on sale at best buy were IDE)

By the way, look into dual core. The 4200+ ones are pretty cheat, 525 for OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom