Help me reach 3.6 GHz with my Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you seriously try to compare an extreme edition chip to a q6600? You should know better than that nos. Of course you are going to get a higher overclock with less voltage than someone on a q6600. Theres a reason those chips cost 1500 bucks when they came out. It wont matter when i get my i7 rig and walk all over your dinky little 65nm quad >< Also, i have never bothered finding what voltage i actually need for stability, i always go higher than needed just to get my clocks.

Did you seriously try to compare an extreme edition chip to a q6600? You should know better than that nos. Of course you are going to get a higher overclock with less voltage than someone on a q6600. Theres a reason those chips cost 1500 bucks when they came out. It wont matter when i get my i7 rig and walk all over your dinky little 65nm quad >< Also, i have never bothered finding what voltage i actually need for stability, i always go higher than needed just to get my clocks.

i've seen some terrible clocking qx series cpu's...

they are the same dang core, G0 steppings just with unlocked multi's.. i see no reason why to not compare them?

i've played witha terrible fx57 before that didnt really wanna go past its stock 2.8.... i think it is luck of the draw with most cpu's

and don't worry veedub... you won't be alone in going core i7 ;)

push me and i might just buy my mobo instead of another 260!

Meh, i already have 2 260s :) But technically the extreme chips are binned to have lower vid's and better overclockability. Just waiting on evga x58 and 920s to come out.

my vid is 1.3125... i don't find that low :p

if i sold my rig now (besides the gpu and cooling) and felt like being broke again... i could have sli'd core i7 setup :p but... imma pass on that for the meantime

too early for that crap. Board revisions,bios updates sounds like a headache. I'll wait for it to mature and the new steppers to come out

bought it all today. dtek,e8600. I actually got rid of my dd nb/sb blocks that I had pictured in my thread. Traded a hard drive plus cash for the e8600. Supposedly does 4.5ghz 1.275 :cool: we'll see about that though. Not getting my hopes. I don't see that happening but you never know. Cpu isn't being shipped til thurs. so I might be able to get started this weekend. Oh and I sold my audio interface too to help fund the stuff. No money out of my pocket

too early for that crap. Board revisions,bios updates sounds like a headache. I'll wait for it to mature and the new steppers to come out

Ya, i'm going to try to hold out until the hardware based SLI version of the evga x58 comes out before jumping into i7.
And i gotta wait until swiftech releases an adapter to mount my GTZ.

i doubt its your RAM... most DIMMs can do 5-5-5-15 at 1066MHz (so long as its not like valueram or something)... loadline calibration is so annoying, and a likely source of issues (probable because you only get 10 seconds at load and your temps are well within operating range)... it strains the pulse width modulation circuit and screws with the corrective feedback loop, which in turn causes jitter in the differential amplifier circuit, distorting the clock signal... you can correct this jitter using clock skew, but it'll be very difficult to get accurate enough to achieve good stability at high voltages... instead, just disable LLC and put a bit more voltage through (you might need 50-150ps on the MCH and 50-100ps on the cpu... start high and decrease until unstable), it'll increase your idle temps a bit, but load temps shouldn't vary too much, as this is where the droop occurs

i disagree with this. i think loadline calibration helps immensely with stabilty and in particular stability tests. such as the burn in. you can use LLC to gain good clocks at low voltage. IMO a good low voltage and good temps with a good clock is better than 200 mhz with a 10-15% increase in temps. all that star trek **** that you are talking about i cant really comment on, i am not that far into it. but...i do know that LLC will help stability by evening out the voltage as the cpu comes on and goes off of a load. and coming off load is usually when the test will fail. clock/nb skew are indeed a delicate settings, i can post my settings if you think it will help. sometimes its better to tweak the settings that are availible in a mobo (they are there for a reason) than it is to just apply raw voltage. (unless youre nos lol). it takes a little time and effort to get maximum clock/minimum voltage, especially on these newer mainboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom