Help me push my OC higher - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Default Re: Help me push my OC higher

what he said is true though, even if it is the same model cpu it doesn't mean they will all perform the same.

but sometimes it's more than just hardware related. Sean, i hope you don't take this as a douche comment, but just because you couldn't clock higher it doesn't mean the chances of someone else doing it are low. an example; where you could just get to 3.8, Apok was able to hit 4.4 using the same cpu and motherboard. having the know-how is just something else you have to account for even if you have the parts.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

I respect you Muffin Man and i didn't take offense to that. you are 100% right, just because i couldn't doesn't mean it cant be done... but i can link you to probably at least 20 threads ( form different forums ) where someone said they cant get their 965 over 3.8ghz. and for the record, i never said anything close to " if i cant do it, it cant be done ". i have booted at 4ghz with mine, its possible, but it wasn't even in the realm of being stable.

i was simply telling him my experiences and he basically called me a moron and disregarded what i had said.

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

well i gotta be honest, i read his post a couple times to try and see your perspective and i really don't see how you got that from what he posted.

to each his own i guess :/
Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

I have to say that reading this thread reminds me of the kind of bickering you see in a Jr. High Locker room.

Everyone just needs to chill out.

Sean don't get so butthurt about this, and to the op, don't be so defensive. You did ask for help and Sean took the time to say getting over 3.8ghz is recognized as being a pretty uncommon thing.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

no i know, this whole thing is rediculous and way more drama then should be on an online forum, im over it, i tried to help him and ifim not good enough for him then so be it...
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

on a different note the new cast of jersey shore has been announced and it includes sean w and Bdwinder will be replacing the situation and pauly d.... no more gernades
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heister View Post
on a different note the new cast of jersey shore has been announced and it includes sean w and Bdwinder will be replacing the situation and pauly d.... no more gernades
Lol'd ^ I personally would stay at 3.8ghz and get a better cooler anyway, It's only a 200mhz difference, It'd be cool to say u hit 4ghz for bragging rights but, is it worth shortening the life dramatically and all the stability issues you may hit?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPROTechman View Post
It'd be cool to say u hit 4ghz for bragging rights but, is it worth shortening the life dramatically and all the stability issues you may hit?
It has been categorically proven that even bleeding edge overclocks do not drastically reduce the lifespan of a computer processor to the point where it becomes an issue. A stock CPU is designed with a 15-20 year effective lifespan, and even if the overclocking halves that, the working lifespan of the cpu will very rarely reach that point.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
It has been categorically proven that even bleeding edge overclocks do not drastically reduce the lifespan of a computer processor to the point where it becomes an issue. A stock CPU is designed with a 15-20 year effective lifespan, and even if the overclocking halves that, the working lifespan of the cpu will very rarely reach that point.
I may have to overclock my Athlon 6000 from 3ghz to whatever it'll go then :] I heard it shortens the lifespan of the motherboard though, is that true? or does it depend on voltages.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPROTechman View Post
I may have to overclock my Athlon 6000 from 3ghz to whatever it'll go then :] I heard it shortens the lifespan of the motherboard though, is that true? or does it depend on voltages.
Never heard of it shortening the lifespan of a motherboard before. The thing is, all these computer components were designed with very long working lifespans and we generally never keep them for that long so any decrease in lifespan isn't really noticed.

Thanks!

Closed Thread