Help me OC further =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hey all, I want to get more out of my system :(

I got my CPU just before the Opteron craze so I didn't know about it or I would have gotten one. I have the system that is in my sig, an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego.

Currently I am runnin 250HTT x 11 with a 5:6 divider
I know having 2 gigs of ram drops OC's but with a 5:6 divider I thought I should be fine.

I am at 2.75ghz with my 250x11 but I want to get around 2.9 if possible. I really would want 3 but since that is **** near impossible with the san diego I just want to get as close to 2.9 as I can.

Here is my issue: I don't have a clue about ram timings. So basically I have copied other people's timings, read about timings, but don't really know what to use. I was hoping I could just set a 5:6 divider, up the voltage to it and it would be fine. I know there are good stickies and all and I have read them but knowing what things stand for hasn't really translated into me having a good idea of what to try.

Also it seems like I am using heck of high voltages but my comp can't really get higher than 250 htt x 11. Heat isn't really a bad issue with my nice new Thermaltake Big Typhoon and better cord management after having put it in.

I am at work so I am kind of hoping I remember these values correctly :confused:
Settings:
Htt: 250
Multi: 11
Mem divider: 5/6
Ram timings: 2, 3, 3, 6 (i think, not sure)
dram: 2.8v
chipset: 1.7v
cpu vid control: 1.55v
cpu vid special control: 110%

I think my DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D Mobo has a bios of 6-23

If there is anything else that I am forgetting that makes a big difference let me know.

Any suggestions? With my already fairly high voltages I never get over 45 degrees C with my cooling so I am fine there I think. I am not sure if it would help to try lowering my multi and raising HTT higher or not. I don't really want to loosen my mem timings since I am already at a 5/6 divider but give me all your suggestions and i'll try different things. :p Thanx for the help. Any thoughts on how high I should or should not go with ram voltages with my particular ram? I can post my CPU stepping when I get home if it would make a difference.

Get me to 2.9!!! :D Yes I know it is luck of the draw how high you can get with each cpu but still I think I can go higher I just don't have a lot of experience so I don't know what to tweak to squeeze out the best performance available to me.

P.S. if someone tells me to go read the stickies some more i am going to track them down, kick their dog, slap their mother, steal there computer and sell it on ebay to finance buying a dual core fx-60 :wooha:

you might be at your cpu's limit.

you want to OC your components one at a time initally. first, i would set the ram divider lower so you're only OCing your CPU. that way, if there's any instability, you'll know it's not the RAM that's at fault. once you find your max cpu oc, then you can start OCing the ram.

ok, 1.55v is kinda high, plus the 110% is putting your vcore at like 1.7 and that's really high....perhaps too high.

like i said, set your RAM slower and see if you can raise the FSB any more. try different dividers like 10x to see if that makes a difference.

all-in-all i'd be pretty nervous with the more than 1.55v on that thing. 2.75ghz is best i could get out of my sandy with 1.55v at 11x & 250HTT.

honestly, you wouldn't notice a difference between 2.75 and 2.9

I know various people at 2.9 with sandys though :(

I guess you are right I need to go 1/2 divider and do more testing to see what i can get my cpu up to.

I am going to be bummed if I can't get 2.8

Any idea how long it takes for the supposed "burn-in" for a cpu that just got a new heatsink/fan with some AS5? I have left my comp on 24/7 for a day and a half now OCed to 2.75

have you run prime95 or some other cpu-stressing program for a while? if so, burn in has probably already occured.... personally i would have done the burn in before OCing but that probably doesnt make any difference.

yea i know someone with a sandy at 3.0ghz.... but like you said, its luck of the draw most of the time. 2gb of RAM probably is hampering your OC a little. you could always run 1gb of RAM and see what your OC is just for $hits and giggles.

just be careful man, that's a good processor. quite frankly, that thing at 2.75ghz is one of the fastest processors out there anyways.:cool:

I don't want to drop a gig of my ram i love the smooth play of BF2 with 2 gigs too much :D

I assumed that a partial OC would simply increase the speed of burn-in with my new heatsink and AS5. I guess that is just wrong?

Maybe you'd be able to get a higher HTT with a lower multiplier? It might not help your overall speed, but the higher the HTT, the better (I think).

Some people have gotten 2.9ghz by having a 10 multi and much higher htt but i guess i just don't understand why that would work when a lower htt and higher multi doesn't. anyone with experience care to enlighten me?

OCing theoretically would increase the burn-in rate because burn-in is halfway heat-dependent. but cpu load/stress has alot to do with burn-in too.

as far as lowering the multiplier to get higher HTT, just be sure you aren't letting your hypertransport go above 1000mhz. set the LDT multi. to 3x.

I forgot there were some posts about having too large a difference in certain voltages frying your stuff. Anyone know what that was? I think it might have been too large of a difference betwen chipset and cpu or something. I'm not sure.

Ya I will calculate out what i am at before trying stuff so i won't go over 1000

The reason why they lower the mutli and reach for the higher HTT is because so the ram can run at a higher speed :)

looks like you wont be able to really get 3Ghz high hopes bad idea :O, i wouldnt go over 1.6V if i were you also :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom