help me figure this out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix27

Beta member
hey guys im new to these forums obviously.. just wondering if i can get some help from somebody. I have put together a computer with the following specs and hardware.

Intel 848p-a motherboard 478 socket
intel 3.4 ghz processor
2 gigs of ram
1 cd-rw drive at 52X
1 dvd-rw drive at 16x
1 floppy drive
1 120 western digital hard drive
1 radeon 9250 graphics card

i turn on the computer and all the hardware seems to start up ok.. but i get a beep. and then it continues to beep. does anyone have any idea why this is doing this, and why i cant get anything to display when i have it plugged into a monitor. any help or ideas would be great.

I think there may be a problem with your hardware... Make sure your RAM is compatable with the motherboard, and make sure all the jumpers if any are set right.

check if you cpu is seated properly. usually when there are beeps that mean there is something wrong here are some beep codes.

Beep Code Descriptions
1 short DRAM refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64K RAM failure
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are Award BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Description
1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

If any other correctable hardware issues the BIOS will display a message.

IBM BIOS

The following are IBM BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of models shipping with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Description
No Beeps No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
1 Short Beep Normal POST, computer is ok.
2 Short Beep POST error, review screen for error code.
Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
Repeating Short Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
One Long and one Short Beep Motherboard issue.
One Long and Two short Beeps Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue.
One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.
Three Long Beeps Keyboard / Keyboard card error.
One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circuitry.

ok well the motherboard has award bios. it beeps when i start it.. but its kind of a long beep.. then it pauses and does a long beep again.. and it continues to do it. im going to go see how many beeps it does exactly before it stops.. (if it does : / )

I get that all the damned time when my ram is overclocked to much or my CPU is way over the limit's, and i know you have something very similar to the problem im getting because we have the same BIOS.

i dont think my stuff is overclocked... i havnt done anything to overclock it i do have an aftermarket heat sink and fan on my processor but i dont think that realy overclocked it : /
i still cannot figure this out.

charles_scott said:
I think there may be a problem with your hardware... Make sure your RAM is compatable with the motherboard, and make sure all the jumpers if any are set right.

~yeah, what he said

One thing you might be able to try is this. There is a 3 pin jumper on every motherboard. This is the CMOS memory clear. Put the jumper in the clear position for a few minutes and put it back to the normal position. This will clear the BIOS and reset it to default.

If you restart the PC and you are still getting the beeps try removing things one by one until the beeping stops. If you remove everything but the cpu, and it still beeps, then you know it's the CPU.

Did you apply thermal paste to the CPU? Did the HS come with a thermal pad? Is the CPU installed properly? Are ther any small metallic fragments on the motherboard? There are endless things that i've run into. It's all trail and error.

Repost if you've found the problem.

the cpu is installed properly. the heatsink came with thermal compund on it. in fact ive tried two different cpus and it does the same thing with both of them. i suppose i will have to spend a few hours tinkering with stuff i guess... i will keep you guys updated on what i have found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom