Help me burn this sucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

backup287

Daemon Poster
Basically i have a 7950 gx2, everyone knows they've been discontinued for various problems one including heat, what would be the best way of going about burning this sucker out so i can Rma it? (i dont want my cpu or motherboard or anything else compromised)

what should i do just crank the clocks and try to play games with it overclocked to insanity?

ya but i could claim it was burnt out on its own, remeber my card was discontinued for a reason my card runs at like 75C idle and 85 on load (not overclocked in a cool room)

tried ocing it slightly one time it went to 96C and the comp shut down

... this is not a good idea unless your willing to lose the cards value if they don't accept the RMA...

what maker? if its BFG, XFX or EVGA you can just overclock it, turn off all safety features from your PC and just let it die... a other nice way is to turn it on without the fan plugged in

edit: from the xbox 360 RROD days, wrap the card in a towel while you run it 100%... it'll die

i say find a pencil vmod or something on the internet, if there is one, increase the voltage, OC and watch it fry (I'm fairly certain it won't bother the rest of your computer, but don't take my word for it)

the pencil vmod leaves no indication of vmodding.. the only pencil vmod I can find for a 7950GX2 is for the vmem, maybe you can try burning the memory out?

6.jpg

or,
the two points on the right, if you tape an exposed wire between them (remove after done), you'll increase the voltage to the GPU a little, making it easier to heat up... and disable the fans using rivatuner or atitool - or just pull the pins out for the fan plug
4.jpg

can't they tell if you increased the voltage though? even if there are no signs of a voltmod... since even if you soldered you can always remove the solder...

can't they tell if you increased the voltage though? even if there are no signs of a voltmod... since even if you soldered you can always remove the solder...

they probably look at the most common soldering points, and I'll bet they can tell if any soldering work's been done there

also, do this on an old system that you don't mind crapping out

oh and another thing, I'm not sure if this'll work.. but maybe try increasing the PCI-E voltage in BIOS to create further instability

good luck

wow youre worried about temps, my 8600gt Fata1ity gets upto 95 degrees at stock clock speeds, baring in mind it has a passive cooler...
its strange though mine doesnt try shutting the pc down, it just keeps going.

ps just unplug the fan if you can, then overclock it and play oblivion for like 10hours or somethin. foolproof method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom