Help To Control CPU Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdbonds

Beta member
Hello Everyone,
I just recently put together a new computer system for myself. I made the mistake early on and was a little to eager to get a case so i picked up any case that i thought looked descent. I didnt take into consideration cooling, and now that I have a little bit more experience in building these computers I realize one of my errors. Anyway, I am looking to control my computer temperatures a little bit better. Here are my specs for the computer.

-MSI Neo2 Platinum 865PE Motherboard
-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.0Ghz (c) - it has a Northwood core
-I replaced the stock fan/heatsink with a Spire Cooperstream 2 CPU Chiller
-Pinnacle 3200 DDR Ram - 1 gig
- Antec True Blue 480 Watt Power Supply
- Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 5700 Ultra DDR2 128MB
- Plus all the bells and whistles (ie, floppy, DVDRW, wireless net card, SB Audigy Sound card, 2 hard drives).

I've purchased and installed rounded IDE and floppy cables to help control the airflow. Wires are still a little bit all over the place because of the power supply (so many connections). I also used Artic Silver 5 when installing the processor.

The case that I have is a Powmax Dreamstar Black Case. The problem is that it is not the greatest case for cooling but better then some that I see. The case came with one 80mm side window fan. There is no room in the front of the case to put a fan. The case didnt come with any fan for the back so I purchased an 80mm Antec fan. I think one of my main problems is that both of the fans are blowing air out. No intake.

Right now, I'll start the computer up and after POST and loading up into windows CPU temperature levels out to about 42 celc. And generally it will stay that way if im doing general surfing on the web, aim, non heavy intensive applications. However if I load up a game like Unreal Torunament 2004 or Doom3 processor pushes to about 51 - 52. After I stop playing the game the processor levels out to about 49 Celc. So it seems like there isnt enough heat being dissapated. So even afterwards, if i do something like play Doom 3 again then the processor pushes up to about 60 celcuis and levels off again to about 49/50 after I finish playing.

I'm intrested in lowering the processor temperature to prevent longterm damage. My understanding was that the Prescott core runs a lot hotter then the Northwood core, this was one of the reasons why I purcahsed the Northwood. I've purchased two items to help with airflow in the case which is the following:

- Speeze System Cooler: Ill throw this in a PCI slot right under the Video card to help get rid of some of the heat generated by it (you can find this item on new egg)
- Ultra 5.25 Bay Freezer with 2-60mm fans: this goes into the 5.25 bays and supposedly cools the system by providing intake and exhaust. (you can find this on tiger direct)

I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas to help cool the system better then what it is already? These parts shoudl be coming within the next few days. I plan on turning the window fan around so it can be an intake fan and then throwing the other parts in there? or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

Case Pics:

pic1 pic2 http://web.njit.edu/~kdb2/pc3.jpg]pic3[/URL] pic4

Thanks everyone

One idea i am attempting is to cut a hole or two out on the side of my case and install two 80mm intake fans one above the cpu and the other above the gpu. A ducting mod helped my system. But a fan directly above the cpu bringing in cool air from the outside will help alot.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-120&depa=0

Try that fan, i currently have four in my case, very nice fans. I have mine with a front bay fan controler. They are not loud at all. But the main thing that would help is direct air from the outside of your case on your cpu. Give that a try.

I posted above then looked at your pics. You have wires all over in there. Try to tuck them behind your mobo on the other side of the case. I have alot in my case, but i have it totaly open above the mobo for the best circulation. But tuck those wires away under the other side of the mobo and the bays. That should help.

Thanks for the input, I might try this fan and replace out the window fan that I have in there now. Powmax isnt to great of a company I hear for fans so maybe thats part of the problem? If it gets to a point then i might just cut into the case to add more fans but if I can avoid that then that would be good to. This fan seems to be highly reccomended by the reviews on newegg. Am i assuming correct that there should be an intake? Would it make sense for me to make the window fan an intake fan, it is close to the processor, well somewhat close.

I definatly think all the power wires are one of the problems. Tucking it behind the motherboard sounds like an excelelnt idea and i think that will be one of the steps i take. Its nice to have the length in wire for the PSU but its a pain in the ass to place.

You could try to add a ducting mod for that 80mm fan and direct it at your cpu, if you have the room. Thermaltake has quality fans.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-999-118&depa=0

A ducting mod would direct the air flow to your cpu, and one on your cpu helps with cooling and noise control. I dont think you would want two, but try one in different places.

And remember to bundle those wires away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom