help with building new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crip1087

Solid State Member
I have a question, I'm building a new computer but I wanted to keep the same hard drive from my old computer, If i put the old hard drive in my new computer, will I have to re-install the operation system because I'll have a new processor/motherboard/etc???

Also, I'm keeping the same cd/dvd rom drives from my old computer as well.

Old Processor/Motherboard:
Intel D845PT Mobo
Intel Pentium4 1.7ghz

New Processor/Motherboard:
ASUS K8N
AMD 64 3200+

You always need to format when you do a major hardware change such as a motherboard or two different graphics card companies. The drivers from the different equipment would give you troubles.

when you reformat, make sure you take out your 56k modem (if you have one) out of the motherboard. because if you dont, you will need a new driver for it.

Yeah you'll have to reformat, sometimes if you stay within the same chipset, or a variation of a chipset the thing will be able to load and compensate. I did manage to do this once in the intel 440 days. I inadvertantly tryed it when I built this comp. It was a intel 440bx to the nvidia nf4(amd64) chipset, it came up with an error like invalid system configuration, or something like that.

Basicly its a good idea to format/reinstall even it you could boot into windows, because some junk gets left behind by drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom