hello all, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

winstonchurchil

Beta member
hello, im totally new to pc building, this is my first attempt

this might sound simple but

on my asus motherboard it has three fan sockets, one for cpu, power supply and chassis fan, all the male sockets on the motherboard are the same

but the female connector on the chassis fan is a totally different to the chassis fan socket on the motherboard(the chassis fan connector has four huge pins and the socket on the motherboard has 3 small pins and looks like the socket for all cpu fans)

any help would be appreciated, thankyou

1st you dont need to hook up the chasis fan or the PS fan to the MB . Not all power supplies have the monitoring capabilities same goes with chasis fans .You need a chasis fan with speed control or some have an extra conector that will hook to the chasis fan port single wire which allows your motherboard to monitor the fan speed and use the bigger conector your talking about to power the fan.I would get a 3 pin fan wich will be controled controled and monitored by the MB

Yeah listen to what he said.

Beyond that....you got your 3 main 3pin connections which is what your seeing. Obviously the main one is your CPU Fan....nothing but a 3pin connector which should be near the socket and ram...then theres the north bridge fan...thats the second of 3 that looks the same which is roughly in the middle of the board near the AGP slot or so.....the 3rd one is for your South Bridge fan. You CAN hook up other 3pin powered fans to any of those 3pin connectors, but they may draw more power than what your mobo would be used to so I would be careful about that. Like he said about the powersupplies.........listen to what they are called...POWER SUPPLIES...they can power their own fans internally...the only 3pin connector that would stick out would have one wire (generally yellow) coming from it so you can monitor its speeds, however that'd take up one of your 3pin connectors...either your north bridge or south bridge...usually its mainly the north bridge that has the RPM Monitor. Chassis fan is also different and probably requires a 4pin molex connector and it should be passthrough so it doesn't take up a molex connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom