Is this heatsink ok to use with a overclocked athlon 64 x 2 6000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent5281

Solid State Member
Hi,
I've just bought a AMD athlon 64 x 2 6000 processor & as I'm going to overclock it I thought I'd better buy a new heatsink. Someone recommended the arctic freezer 64 pro as its a very reasonable price & its very good to so I went with that.Now whats confusing me a little is on the artic heatsink box it says supports all AMD athlon 64 (X2) (Socket 754,939,AM2) which covers me.My socket is AM2 & I have an athlon x 2 6000 (3.0GHz).I wanted to do a little research before installing it to see if I could pick up any tips & I've come across numerous websites that say it only supports up to athlon 64 x 2 5000.I've also come across some that says it works with all athlons x 2 & up to 130W.My CPU is 125W.I'm a little baffled now.I want to get on & install my new CPU & heatsink but I think I will wait until I get some feedback.
Can anyone confirm either way please?Thankyou.

Thanks alot mate,really appreciate it. I kinda thought that was the case but just needed a little reassurence. I've had such a bad run of luck lately didnt want to risk it. Thanks again.

Yeah, HSFs are socket compatible not cpu compatible. So if it supports AM2 is supports all AM2, they have the same mounting brackets. I would grab some TX-2 thermal paste to go with it, the stuff does wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom