Heat problem with new set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket Temper

Beta member
I just built my first computer using my old Compaq case. I think I am having a heat problem, but really donÂ’t know what else I could do.

Here are my specs:

Intel D865GLC/GBF Motherboard (Baby ATX)

3.4 MHZ P4 H T 800 Bus (Stock heat sink and fan 5500rpms)

256 MB GeForce FX 5900 ultra (full card heat sink and twin filtered fans)

1 Gig of 266 MHZ SDRAM (from old computer)

Sound blaster Live sound card

400w PSU

2 fans, one in the back blowing out one in front sucking
Two on the PSU

I have already cleaned everything. I have a BIG dust problem where I live. I have to clean this thing once a month. These temps are all with a newly cleaned heat sink and fans.

My idle temps are (using AIDA32 v3.90 for temp data)
Motherboard 33C (91F)
CPU 34C (93F)
Case temp 39C (100F)

Under 75% Load using Morrowind on max settings
Motherboard 43C (109F)
CPU 50C (122F)
Case temp 60C (140F)

These temps can get 3 to 4 degrees higher if playing for long periods.

The whole reason I am asking about this is because the active monitor that came with the motherboard keeps saying I am overheating at 50C on my cpu and motherboard. Having never worried about temp before this is something I didnÂ’t account for when building my PC. Come to think of it there are a lot of things I will do different the next time around. You canÂ’t adjust nothing with this stupid intel board. Live and learn though.

What is your opinion on water cooling? I have always been scared of frying my computer. Water and electronics donÂ’t mix well if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Kricket

your CPU temp isnt to bad the mobo is a little hot for some reason . Water cooling is good but be carefull with it . See if you can put a 120 mm fan in the front preferably a Fan Speed Control type .Make sure the airway isnt blocked by ribbon cables etc ...
If possible See if you can use an adapter to install a 90 mm fan in the rear exhaust .Dont forget to dust out the PS to ..
Interesting game " Morrowind " hehe

I bought my computer from dell and put it in this NZXT case I got. The dell computer came with only 1 fan a 120mm and ran fine. I put it in this new case with 2 back slots sucking hot air out and 1 window fan blowing cold air in. While taking off my mobo to put it in my new case I had to take off the head sink, it left some stick grey residue on my CPU and im just wondering if that has any thing to do with it. I know almost nothing about computers except how to turn on and off and use the programs I do. I have BIOS Ver, A09 and no where in it is my temp. So I installed speedfan. Said I would run 45c idling 48c while playing cs. So turned my window fan around so it would suck out air instead of blowing it on the heat sink. It dropped my idle temp down to 43c and comp shuts off. I touch the heat sink and it burns my hand. So I open the case up and blow my portable fan on it and thatÂ’s how I have it running now. Its runs about 35c this way. But I cant always have my portable fan running on it. Any ideas?

Just to let anyone who is reading my post here I am sorry I should have done a search on heat problems. I found about fifty of so posts on the same subject.

I think I got a handle on the problem now. My IDE Cables are in the way of air flow in my case (the reason my mobo is so hot) I am going to order some round IDE cables from newegg along with a couple of fans (Thermaltake 80mm Smart Fan at 46/53cfm. I also am going to take my heatsink off and put some actic silver 5 on and see if that helps. I think if I can get my mobo to cool down it will help a lot.

There is no way I can put a 120mm fan in the front with out some moding of the case. I am almost to the point of getting rid of the steel case and getting either a plexiglass or aluminum case.

With my micro ATX board I would like to put it in a bigger case If I get a standard ATX case will I be able to put the smaller board in with out drilling new holes?

Morrowind addict all the way lol.

do what i did get some double sticky tape.. its ghetto but works.

Attachments

• virtualosopaper.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 12
did you have to drill new holes with your ghetto sticky tape job? or was there already some vents there? I have to add a fan to either the side or top of my case and there are no vent holes there, do i need to make some vent holes for the new fan then??

you can use a dremel to cut some holes in the case .I took a mini tower case and cut a hole for a 120 mm fan in the front intake .
If you like the case spend some time on improving the air flow
If you dont , get 1 that has what you want :) .
In Morrowind i got into the nack of making some pretty awsome weapons hehe . Like Ring of Fire i could kill a strong aponent from a long distsnce in 1 use . I took the Shinks amulet and created a killing health eater and soul trapper awsome graphics .
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom