HDD fan question, quick info apreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3rk1sh

Baseband Member
Ok, here is the situation. I am moving my computer from its old beat up gate way stock case to a brand shiney new one.

The new one has the ability to place a 80mm fan infront of the hard drive bay where my (single) 200gb 7200 rpm maxtor hard drive would be located.

Right now i have a very noise HD far that attaches to the bottom of the HD and has two fans one that blows on and one that sucks off (mind out of the gutter) on it (neither of which come from the outside of the case.

My question is should i run the single 80mm fan now that it will be in the new case (which has direct acces to the front of the case ie. outside) and if so should i have it blowing onto the drive or sucking out fo the drive bay space.

Or would it be better to leave the existing HD fan on...

(the fan fyi would be a vantec stealth 80mm)

i would like to know as this hard disk gets VERY hot...

read: would the new fan setup make up for removing the old one, and if so how should it be set up.

Thank you,

t3rk1sh

ok I'm not completely sure what your setup is? I cant properly visualize it. If the front of your new case has holes in the front or gaps or something for air flow to come in that'd be better. I have 3 fans, 2 are in the front, and one is on the side. I'm thinking of putting the one on the side as exhaust so the cool air is brought over the hot drives from the 2 front fans and sucked out by the 3rd fan on the side

Now you're saying you have a fan that attaches to the bottom of the HD itself? If that's the case it seems like it'd get cooler if you have the fan blowing onto the bottom of that HD and one fan in the front. Sorry if I misinterpreted your situation

it would be the second front intake there would be a side exhaust and 2 back exhause fans. i think this will be fine but ill keep a eye on this hard drive (i have always had problems with it overheating, i think its a bad batch)

its not really that big of a deal but thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom