Hdd cooling, is it really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSXmike

In Runtime
well... is it...

reason being... the case that i have has a case fan attached to one of the hdd bays, so it makes 1 of my hdd stick out another inch or 2... im trying to make my case look a little cleaner and uniform... so would taking out the case fan and fixture be alright... or should i leave it in?

Yes, I have a hunch that a lot of HDs we see with bad sectors are from overheating. if you want to know why I have this hunch, ask and Iwill tell you why.

anyway the good news is there is a free program that will sit in your icon tray called HD THERMOMETER , it monitors the S.M.A.R.T function of your HD, apparently there is a heat sensor somewhere on your HD. You can se HDT for Celcius or Farenheit

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hddthermometer.html

heres what im also trying to prevent

cable hitting cpu cooler
100_1082.jpg

see how it sticks out
100_1084.jpg

can you spread the hdds apart more, like the bottom one more towarsd the bottom so the cables are spread out?

lemmie try that...

edit: yea it worked... its still really close, but its not touching the cooler any more...

why did i think of that? lol

In the past I did a lot of dloading/uploading and file transfering over a long period of time and I realized that my comptuer ran slower after that, it didn't seem to be my CPU/Chipset's problem because their temperatures were normal. I felt the HD and it seemed pretty hot, or at least hotter than when it is at idle, so after I let it idle for a while, I felt that hte computer ran much faster.

I built a little CPU Fan/HD cooler myself using cable ties. You'd be surprised how cool that little fan can keep your HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom