HDD Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My harddrives used to be too hot to hold on to. I stuck a HDD cooler on it and put in a front intake fan and now they're pretty cool.

HDD Cooling?

What is the point of hard drive cooling? rarely have i seen a hard drive overheat...

seems like a waste of money.

simple physics, the cooler it is then the less wear and tear. drives last longer if they are consistently kept at a low average temperature. there are cases of hard drive failure as a direct result of overheating. it's like having a heatsink on your processor when it is turned off, sure it's not overheating...........yet.

While this is brought up, I have a question too.

Will/can a harddrive become slower if it is hotter?

when things get hotter they expand, when thens get colder they contract.

Even tho things inside the hard drive are only expanding by a very small amount, at one point that small amount could be just enough to crack something like the head and therefore cause faliure.

a Cool system = A happy system.

To add to what A-mak said, the constant expanding and contracting of the metal inside will wear out the drive a lot faster.

the heating/cooling cycles induce cyclic stress on the hd. the more cycles it goes through (and the more drastic the high/low points of the cycle) the more stress the hd experiences. your springs, precision gears, etc will really start to feal the wear after 1000's of extreme temperature cycles.

cool and happy is a true statement :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom