HardDisk failure while overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see nothing in bios that looks like it has anything to do with IDE or SATA frequency. Also...it sounds like there's something loose inside the drive. Just tilting it back and forth while holding it I can here something moving which I've never heard before in a drive. I'm hoping the hard drive might just be defective. I suppose I'll go ahead and send it in and see what seagate says.

Some BIOS don't have locks, which is why I don't overclock cause mine doesn't.

Defintily RMA the drive if its not working but don't tell them anything about overclocking.

The lock you're thinking of is most likely AGP/PCI/PCI-E...there is no BIOS out there that has the option of locking/unlocking SATA/IDE ports as far as I know

Those should either come locked default or unlocked default and can't be changed, that's why the DFI nf3-D sucks hardcore next to the other DFI boards, it has unlocked SATA ports

System instability can also lead to data corruption FYI

Ya, thats what I was thinking about, but in short, OCing "can" cause HD instability.

But thats the risk you take when you OC.

2 of the slots on an MSI K8N NEO2-plat are unlocked and 2 of them are locked so you have to make sure which ones are locked or not, you dont want to OC your hdd do you?

I had sorta the same problem when I got into overclocking. When I would increase my cpu speed by 200MHz max I would get a blue screen and it said my hdd had failed "and" my os has been corrupted. The hdd wasnt bad at all but I had to reinstall windows about 7 times before I learned from my mistake lol. Oh and the mistake was I asnt locking my PCI-E speed for my video card.

Your not suposed to increase your frequency by 200 all at once, you gotta build and test for stability, When I tried to OC, I did 2 MHZ, then I ran Prime 95 for while, My limit was a total of 30 Mhz, before I started blue screening and prime 95 failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom