hard drive temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do not know the safe EXACT temperatures of hard disks, but this is not rocket science. put your hand on top of the hard disk. if it is warm you are OK. if it is hot than it is overheating. if it is scalding hot than you have something that needs fixing right away. hard disk usually get too hot if something right above it is blocking the air to cool it off. you need to leave space for the hard disk to cool off below and above it. if nothing works, you can install a cheap hard disk cooler, these can be found on newegg.com. the speeze cooler and the vantec one are the best, they screw to the bottom of the hard disk

I don't agree MB. I think its like a CPU. having no cooler is like just a passive heatsink, the heat will build up. for a hard disk its entire metal casing is the heatsink. adding a cooler to it dissipates the hot air and reduces the temperature externally which has an impact to its internal temperature. I think the internal temperature drop is not as significant as its external temperature drop because it is an enclosed case with no way for the air to escape.

Oh i see what you are saying now MB. You may be right in that it doesn't extend the life of the HDD unless it helps bring down temps from an unsafe level. It would be interesting to know what the decrease in temp would do to the HDD RPM's and how that impacts overall HDD speed and response time, maybe no much of a difference either but who knows? I wonder also if cooling the hard disk impacts case temperature or CPU temperature......but I'm too lazy to try to figure that out :sigh:

anyways the point i was trying to make with the hard disk cooler was to use it in extreme overheating of the hard disk especially if he has SATA which i hear heat up very nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom