Hard Drive temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
Ok, just installed HDD Thermometer utility. Only works with one of my drives, showing temps so far up to 84F. Have nothing on the drive to suggest operating range. If this is too high , what is the cure? Please dont tell me to cut a hole in side of tower, as suggested by PC magazine (name?)
Both 80G drives are vertically mounted , about 0.5" apart. Using ribbon cables. ... DVD and CD-rom drives also , all in a mini-tower.

if your ambient air temp is like 75, that's normal, now the temp can go up if your running a lot of programs at once that need a read/write option to the hard drive then the temps will go up

the best way to tell if they are overheating is touching the top of the hard disk. if it burns your hands than it is too hot, if it is warm than it is ok. tofix this make sure you have an empty slow between hard disks for the air to cool it otherwise the hot air has nowhere to escape and heat the drives up.

also you can but a hard disk cooler like the ones from thermaltake and speeze. the mount on the bottom of the hard disk and act as a heatsink/ fan. they are very inexpensive. when you say mounted vertically did you mean the bays are vertical or the drives are mounted sideways?

yea i think my HD like overheated and it just restarted its self lol. But that never happened before so i guess its fine. I could get a water block for it but i dont wanna spend the money on a HD cooler on somthing that does not get that hot often...

ekÆsine said:
i was talking about a fan cooler, they cost $10-15.

ive had one of those before. But one of the fans was not working well and it was making a weird noise... so i threw it out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom