hard drive issue...help :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default hard drive issue...help :(

well now i have other hard drives im trying to format but its not reading any of them... i keep gettin the same error for all hard drives.."BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK N PRESS ENTER". why doesnt it ready any of my hard drives...i have set the jumpers to masters on all of them and i went into the bios and set all the primary's and secondary's to AUTO, and it still doesnt read any hard drives... does this mean i might have to flash the bios ?

how do i get the mother board to read my hard drives ? just to format and partition them. ?

thanks PCBoy

Old 06-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Well the bios should read them regardless, unless they are SATA, in which case you'll need to use the SATA drivers disk when they look for them to install Windows.

Make sure you don't have a floppy in the bay when you are booting up, just a small chance.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Bootable

I think you r not using a Dos bootable cd or floppy.
Cauz thats what you will need for ur system to read ur hard drives unless u already have an operating system installed on them. Get a bootable cd and boot from it and then partition and format and install windows.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via ICQ to str8lazy Send a message via AIM to str8lazy Send a message via Yahoo to str8lazy

sounds like that should work. Try putting the HDD's on cable select to, that might help it get read in some type of a weird way....
Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to daappleby
Default Re: hard drive issue...help :(

Quote:
Originally posted by PCBoy
...i have set the jumpers to masters on all of them...
Was this typed correctly? If you have more than one drive on the same cable they cannot both be jumpered master. Once must be slave. The one on the very end should be jumpered master and the other slave.

Same deal with any type of drive i.e. cdroms and dvd roms. The one on the end has to be master and the other must be slave.

The bios should find all your drives if they are set up correctly and they are not damaged. Make sure you put the connector in the right way. The red stripe must be on the side that the molex power connector is on.

Help us Help you:

1) <b>RTFM</b>
2) Search TF using <b>more than one</b> keyword or combination of words
3) Post specific details. We need your computer specs, your OS, and any details from the error messages you get.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via AIM to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin-A.I.

Then ther eis a small matter you also must address , is your cable any good? have you tried a different one? and are you trying to use a 40 pin or 80 pin?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via AIM to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin-A.I.

one other thing , to get you started , you ought to try to get it running with only one hard drive first , then plug in the rest! try that too!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

I just thought of something else as well, maybe the drives are either to big or to small for the mobo to detect? Also, it dosent matter how you plug your drives in if the master and slave is set. You can have a slave at the end and have a master in the middle or vice versa, ONLY as long as one is slave and the other is master. BTW Smokin, there is an edit button, please use it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Sorry about that , i found the " EDIT " button....