Hard Drive heating up annoyingly fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuct

Solid State Member
So my comp freezes up alot and I tried figuring out what it was, being that I hated my hard-drive for some time, I boldy feel it's the hard-drive that's messing up all the time. It heats up really really fast beyond anything else in the comp. I cleaned it yesterday and it was fine for awhile, maybe 30 minutes and then the hard-drive was too hot to touch when I went to see what was wrong internally. My fans cool everything BUT my hard drive.

What do you think it is? Me, Hard Drive.

HDD's should not be too hot too touch. I think you are right about it being a problem.

Well, before doing any more experimenting, I would do a serious backup. If the hard drive is generating heat, there is (as you say) a large chance of something being wrong with it. Because of the chance of it dying at anytime, you won't regret having spared the few CDs it takes to save your important documents, images, internet bookmarks, etc.

You can investigate by purchasing a new drive at a place you know won't give you trouble about returning it if it turns out to be something like the IDE controller. As well, there are hard drive fans that you can get. Even if there isn't such a problem, cooled drives supposedly last much longer and are less prone to dying.

edit: I did a search on hard drive cooling...look at this one: http://startech.com/ststore/ItemList.cfm?category=P20200&topbar=topbara.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom