Hack Overclocking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2005, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot
Default Hack Overclocking

Well, I have no idea how to overclock a processor when your BIOS disables that function. Right now, this is on the second computer in the house, it's a P4 clocked at 1.6Ghz. I'd love it to get it to at least 2 Ghz if not more. Don't know how realistic that is, but anything would be good. I'm pretty sure my BIOS disables the function of overclocking, but I've been told with certain switches on the motherboard and some boot scripts that I can actually modify the processor speed. Now, I really don't have that much cash, so I'm thinking of just opening one side of the casing and having a regular room fan cool the system down from heating. Honestly, I really know nothing about this, so what do I need to tell you guys to give you a better picture (type of motherboard, BIOS version, etc...)

|Intel Q6600 | 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers | XFX 8800GTS 512 | Gigabyte P35-DS3L | Antec 900 | Antec Neo 500 HE |
Old 10-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

ok well you get a program you dont need your Bios. find riva tuner. And also get your sig smaller beofer the admins take it off.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Rivatuner is for video cards. you need to use the motherboard to overclock CPU's.
there are 4 things that affect CPU overclocks: cooling, motherboard, RAM and the CPU itself.

RAM: the RAM matches the FSB/HTT speed. you usually overclock your CPU by increasing the HTT/FSB. and if you have good RAM, you can get it higher.

motherboard: your overclocking options depend on your motherboard. it controls what HTT/FSB speeds you get, your voltages, and the quality of the motherboard also affects your overclocks. because the FSB/HTT actually goes through your motherboard.

cooling: if you overclock, your CPU produces more heat. better cooling will counter the heat gain

the CPU: there are different cores of CPU's. different cores overclock differently. since your CPU is at 1.6GHZ, it is most likely one of the early Pentium 4's, called Willamette. they are not exactly great overclockers, so they were replaced by the Northwood's which could get higher clock speeds.
you shouldn't expect 2GHZ out of it, but you might still have room to overclock it from 1.6. I'm guessing around 1.8 tops.
Closed Thread