gpu speed vs GDDR3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
i know most graphics card run at different speeds. Ive got my 6600GT running at 585mhz core speed, and the memory at 1170mhz.

now does the same apply as between the cpu and system memory as to the gpu and graphics memory, that they should both be the same speed, ie HHT at 400 and pc3200 for the system?

because with the new graphics memory being so fast and most cores not reaching 600mhz is there any point the memory being able to operate at above double the gpu speed or is that how it works best?

also how do i find out what the timings are on my graphics and is it possible to lower them?

thanks

They balance memory speed and GPU speed pretty well.

GPU's get more pipepines, higher bitrates ECT to boost their peformance, clock speed hasnt taken that much of a leap. However to get more bandwidth out of memory, we give it a boost.

BTW Nice overclock if it's stable

The memory and cores of graphics cards don't operate like a CPU. You don't have to worry about one 'bottlenecking' the other because it doesn't work like that. You just keep cranking it as high as you can simply put :D

Yes there are RAM timings for cards, but not like the normal timings you're used to and I highly suggest you don't even bother with them.

Download Nibitor 2.0

You can open your cards BIOS and play around with options in there, but yeah I'd only do that so you can look at whats in there, not to actually change anything ;)

is there anything in there that is worth changin to improve the card or not? i know my card has 8pipelines so i know its different to a cpu, but how does that effect the memory, you seen anywhere where it tells you how it works? or is that sumthing nvidia and ati keep close to the chest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom