GPU reaching 185F under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed Percision. Should I have the fan at 100 percent always when I play games? And I'm new to OCing, would I benefit if I tried it?

You shouldn't need to set the fan at 100%. Like patonb said 55% should be fine, 65% if your really concerned. Overclocking will give you a small boost in most games generally, some cards benefit more than others. To be totally honest, your system looks really good with the exception of your video card. Everything is "New" Tech other than that. The GTS 250 is basically a redesigned GTX 9800 and the GTX 9800 is just a redesign of the GTX 8800. I know you just bought this PC but you should try to upgrade your gpu soon.

What everyone else pretty much said about the auto fan speed.

I have an HD 4890 and i use the default control panel for it.

On Auto it creeps up about 85C which is too hot imo.

I usually keep it around 50% fan speed.

I like to keep mine (ATi 5870) under 60C if at all possible, this means a 45-50% fan speed under full load (folding/gaming/both at once). ATi's 5xxx cards consume less power than the GTX4xx equivalents so they won't need as much fan power to cool them. nVidia's new cards do run a bit hotter so you may not be able to stay under 60 without really pushing the fan (and the noise). I'd stay under 70C either way as after that you can affect other things.

While the chip may be rated for 90-100C, the heat can damage the solder connections between the chip and the graphics card PCB. This is the most common failure in most modern electronics related to heat as the solder can fail at lower temperatures than the chip can. The solder failure is accumulated, it doesn't happen from just overheating alone, it happens after many heating/cooling cycles wears the solder joints out (this is because metal expands/contracts a relatively large amount from temperature changes). This problem was the cause of the Xbox 360's infamous Red Ring of Death problems as well as most laptop graphics failures as both cases involve inadequately cooled GPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom