Gotta have a floppy drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=DFOX=-

Baseband Member
I just realized I forgot to order a floppy drive for my new build, do I really need it? I dont think Ive ever even used the one I have.

i wouldnt personally, floppys are getting older and older by the month...some PCs are being built without them nowadays.

Yeah but unless you have a slipstream WinXP CD then you HAVE to have a floppy for SATA drive installations. Of course I don't have my floppy in the case, the time I do need to format I simply plug it in and let it hang on the top until I'm done.

Buuuut still they can be pretty useful sometimes, like programs like memtest86+ I had to burn a CD instead of simply using a floppy, flashing the BIOS, boot disks, and of course like I said you HAVE to have a floppy for SATA drive installations

Manufacturer computers (Dell, Compaq, etc.) are now building PCs without floppies. I think this is a mistake on their part. Although floppies are no longer suitable for data storage, they still have their place. I work at Office Depot and have business people come in all the time telling me how they still use floppies and they don't like that these new PCs no longer include them. I still think the 3 1/2" drive has its place, believe it or not.

Pretty much what I thought. They are cheap as hell now, so might as well =P

beedabaya is absolutely correct. It is a mistake to not include a floppy drive as they are still required for some tasks. I don't have one installed, but I do have a few sitting around that can be quickly added when needed!

If you have multiple PCs, you can always just have one USB floppy drive. That way you can take out only when it is needed.

i planed to take my floppy drive out of my old pc, but it was impossible to get a ordinary screw driver in there to take it out, so i burrowed mine off of my school.

I agree floppys still have their place. I still have one in my pc. I still use it for memtest and andy time when i might need a boot disk or even to run a test on my hard drive. They have their place. Ever since cdrw's have gone the way of the dodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom