Got new heatsink.. confused about temp's

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero1424

In Runtime
K Got my new Kingwin heatsink and put a tornado fan onto it. its loud :\. Ok with the stock heatsink, I would have idle temp's of down to 31C. Now, if my computer is left on with no programs running and with the screensaver going, it is at 38C. Full load is up to 42C.... full load used to be up to 50C.

So with stock heatsink/fan, I had lower idle temperatures, but higher load temperatures.

Did I put too much TC on? I just wiped whatever was on the stock heatsink off and put it on my new one, then put it on.. the processor was already covered in it..

Well I don't know, I was expecting it to be cooler than 42C. on load with a tornado on it.. so I'm about to just take it off.

suggestions??

wow this thing is really not worth it .. its up to 48 after some cs, but it cools down quick atleast...

I would say to take it off, clean the surface of the CPU and Heatsink off completely. And put on a VERY thin layer of arctic silver 5. Reapply. This should lower the temps. Thermal paste and proper application can be just as important as a good heatsink/fan.

Putting too much AS5 really defeats the purpose like slvstang said as it traps the heat. All you want to do is to cover those miniature holes between your CPU and heatsink so that the heat can go from one to the other and be eliminated by your fan. Once applied, you shouldn't even be able to see it. Rub a small quantity onto your CPU and an equally small quantity on your heatsink then reinstall heatsink and fan. This should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom