Is this good OC'ing RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just answered your previous thread. You should have spent that extra $40 and gone with the platinum rev 2's as they probably would have OC'd quite further.

What you got is still good RAM, but I'm not sure how far it'll want to OC

It will be decent but dont expect miracles

Should have went with a TCCD based ram, like Rev 2's or the g. skill w/ TCCD

ok thanks guys. i did a power search on newegg and only asked for Corsair, OCZ, PQI, and TwinMOS memories and the most I could afford was $180. I really didn't want to spend more than that so this fit right in. I thought the 2-2-2-8 timings were pretty good. I'm not a hardcore gotta-get-every-last-Mhz sort of guy lol. I wanna definitely overclock but not to the point of buying ultra expensive RAM. From what you've said, it will overclock well but isn't the best, which in my opinion is ok for my needs. hopefully when i get it in the mail, you guys can help me with the overclocking. I really don't wanna accidentally cook $175 worth of RAM due to ignorance lol.

well then you should have just saved up and not rushed to get the ram

the mushin L3 (or V3 or something) was $190AR and used samsung tccd's and will probably OC a lot better than these ram which don't use samsung tccd's

OH NO I NEED HELP REAL FAST! i just bought that RAM listed above and it says it gets 2-2-2-8 at 3.3V but my mobo's BIOS's only DDRRAM voltage options are Auto, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8! Will the RAM be able to get the 3.3V of power?!?!?!

cancel the order immediately dude. You would either have to do a voltage mod, or buy a board which can support that much voltage which is basically only good DFI boards.

Get that order cancelled and save up for those platinum rev 2s

oh thank goodness i saw that! thank you for getting back so fast nubioso. yeah, i checked the platinum series and they run on 2.6V. I really wanted to get something TODAY. If anyone wants to help me find some good overclocking RAM UNDER $180, I'd be quite happy. I know I keep shoving those platinum rev 2s away but i just don't want to spend THAT much money. my original limit was $150 but i raised that and i don't want to raise it any further. i'm sure you all understand.

I'm tellin you dude, it'll be worth it. Just hold off for a month and save more money.

You bump the juice up to 2.8 in those platinum rev 2's and they should be able to hit near DDR500 easily with fairly decent timings.

Your only other option is to go 2x256 for now.

And you could get a 512mb stick of the exact same thing later, and sometimes you can still get dual channel.

Put the 2x256 in the same colored slots and the 512mb in the different colored slot (assuming it's color coded for easier identification of dual channel) and sometimes it'll run that gig in dual channel, even if it doesn't it really isn't a big deal, DC doesn't add THAT much.....this is assuming you have a socket 939 board....if it's 754 you don't gotta worry anyway.

2x256 will OC much better than 2x512, but either way you'd get awesome OC's, I'm sure though with 2x256 and 1x512 that'd limit OC'ing any more.

Best bet........SAVE and go for the platinum rev 2s

Also - delete that other thread you started in hardware

FINE! i just reviewed all my other options and there isn't anything with 2-2-2-x timings below $187. i might as well wait. off to sell stuff on ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom