Getting the most out of my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a new CPU cooler long as its red black or silver. (and no blue , at all.. I hate blue.. there's too much blue in my PC as it is... DIE BLUE!)

I'm willing to chip in a bit for your cooler, lol far out I've got nothing better to do.

Slay, of course she's running hotter than you at idle. She's got a stock cooler, stock paste. You've got an awesome cooler, awesome paste, and you've lapped your hs and cpu. No surprises there.

around the low 40's is pretty standard for an i7 920 with stock cooling. BTW you need to go into your BIOS right now and turn off C1E (and speedstep, but I think disabling C1E will automatically do that anyway)

Something about 3.66 Ghz sounds good to me.. can't remember what I read or where but it seemed the best "mid ground" for overclocking.. and was stated it might be possible on stock cooling.

If stock isn't enough, then we'll shoot for the stars. There was a member on here that offered to fork $50 into a cooler to see how high I could go since his set up was the same as mine and he was planning to OC it as well.

I can't remember the cooler he was lookin at... Noct-something or other.. it was kinda rosey in colour and I think came to like $70

Of course if i can get the red pipe/fluid and black/silver connection for liquid cool I'd dive into that whole new string of cooling too, although given it's hefty prices, it might take a little to get the extra bucks. I should really replace this keyboard - the space button is broken and most of the keys have been worn down to rounded sides and thin tops leaving sharp points for keystrokes - keyboard lasted... I think 5 years of abuse though and was a cheap-o $20 "multimedia" board bought from Wal-Mart. lol. It did good.

There was a member on here that offered to fork $50 into a cooler to see how high I could go since his set up was the same as mine and he was planning to OC it as well.

I can't remember the cooler he was lookin at... Noct-something or other.. it was kinda rosey in colour and I think came to like $70

lol, yeah that'd be me. And it was the cooler I have now, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
One of my mates just got a new mobo and he's got the same cooler, so we're gonna be testing how high we can go :)
I'll still throw in $40 if you need it though.

Well I am about to try some clocking - I re-read just about everything my bios has to offer - and then translated it into "normal geek" since ASUS screwed up some of the terms (ok.. they put them in their own words like any company would to give it a marketing gimmick) so it made sense instead of confusing me so much... basically took lots of notes on sticky notes that are all over my desk....

I think.. maybe... yeah.. ok.. I got all the stats to go for 4.0 - not that I would try with stock cooling though... now I needs to look for settings for 3.66 or so.....

I'd suggest doing what Slaymate said, start easy. But not quite as easy has he said to start :p
160 bclk, 20x cpu multiplier, memory at 2:10 (which will keep it at 1600Mhz) and drop your vcore down a notch (set it to 1.2375v)

I think with your board you'll have a drop down list to pick the memory speed out of, just set the bclk and then choose the 1600Mhz option. Make sure you take the uclk frequency down too (make it twice the ram frequency)

That'll boot easy

I just want to say something.. I noticed in real temp it says load 3.1%.. Run LinX and realtemp then take the screen shot when the Load says 90% or so.. I think to properly diagnose it we need to see what your temps are on near to 90% load. I am guessing it will be around 70-80c because your idle temps look similar to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom