Getting the most out of my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
I am ... upset.

I have been toiling away at the bios settings tryin to clock my PC to prevent stutter/lag and such and... either it's windows 7 or ... I am totally missing something.

So.... let's pretend I am completely stupid.... help me tweak my PC to give me the BEST POSSIBLE gaming performance (I don't care about anything else right now, and am willing to buy parts.)

Games I play that are Problematic:

Sims 3
Fallout 3 (1920x1080)
Ultima Online
World Of Warcraft
STEAM Games (CounterStrike, HL2:DM, Killing Floor)

My system stats - including misc info that may or may not be useful:
Intel Core i7 920

OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- Timing 7-7-7-24

Seagate Barricuda 7200 RPM 1TB SATA Harddrive
-32 MB Cache
-3.0Gb/s
-7200.11 (ST31000333AS)

XFX HD 4890 GPU
- 1GB GDDR5
- PCI Express 2.0
- core clock 900mhz
- mem clock 3.9Ghz

Asus 21.5 1080P monitor
-16:9
-2ms

ASUS P6T Deluxe Motherboard
- not V2 it's the original. The bios is a little hard to understand, and overclocking has been... challenging... and frustraiting.

PSU: Corsair TX750W Power Supply. . .

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 932 with stock fans.

I am running everything at stock right now.. seemed like a good starting place for getting support.

Would like to overclock to 3.66Ghz (should be possible on stock cooling....) would like RAM to get to it's marked settings instead of 9/9/9/etc

Currently the HD is not partitioned - it is C: only with folders to keep things organzied "C:\ Games" etc.
Windows 7 64 bit is installed and up to date as far as I can get it... maybe I need a revision or just to wait for the real release?...\

When helping please provide links when possible because I get distracted easily and when tweaking bios options this could be fatal for the PC.... and don't just say "change this to this" because apparently my bios doesn't have the easy read that has been posted - my settings don't say the same things... and when tweaking ram.. I need to know which 9/9/9 what each one is... because I don't think my bios has them in standard order .... I can't find my link that explained what each one was.

You shouldn't be getting stuttering or lag on any of those games, except maybe FO3. This leads me to believe two possibilities. Bad hardware, or you need a BIOS update.

Start with the BIOS update. The most recent update for the P6T Deluxe was about a week ago.
BIOS file (you may need to search for your model):
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
Upgrade Guide:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

If that doesn't solve anything then I would test your memory then, if needed, run HDD diagnostics.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
SeaTools | Seagate

my temps dropped around 12C from my old case... so this case is a godsend compared to that old clunker. Lemme run Realtemp real quick and see what it's nearly idle at right now.... 41/40/43/42 ish just starting Realtemp 3.0 - computer has been online for about 4 days now, and I just stopped playign some games a few hours ago.... so mostly "idle"

Well you said treat you like you were completely stupid.

But you didn't use the CD drivers right? You used the latest ones from the AMD site, update the drivers for EVERYTHING.

If I knew what bios setting options you had I would help you with your overclock. But to be truthful, your system is already running hotter than mine at an idle and I'm at 4.2GHz.

Download LinX here
http://www.youwatched.com/datajay/linx(0.62).7z

Download RealTemp here
Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Start RealTemp up and leave it running. Start LinX up and set it to run 10 times. Line up LinX with RealTemp so that there side by side. Hit the LinX start button. If and when it finishes 10 passes hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard. Open up MS Paint and go to Edit then choose Paste. Go to File then choose Save as. Name the file temps.jpg and save it to your Desktop. Now if you have a Image Hosting site go to it and upload the image and then post it here. If you don't have a Image Hosting site I'll recommend ImageShack. Here's a link.

ImageShack® - Register

I would start by taking your rig apart, and checking to see if there is any dust that may be hindering your computers performance.

I have an i7 build as well and I ran into similar problems, I did the above to solve the problem.

I plan to do a little cleaning a little later on, maybe tonight, cleaning the whole home up a bit.. roomy is quite messy and I guess I am not much better lol.

Here is the LinX 10x results. I think.
I think I did it right

P.S. RealTemps been runnin since the thread was started Lol.

Oh and no I don't use CD's for drivers, I kinda have to go online for them anyway since I use Windows7 64bit and my Mobo/GPU/etc CD don't have support for Win7 (obviously since it isn't released yet they aren't going ot put it on CDs)

lemme get GPU-z runnin and check it's temps

You might be able to oc your system a little. But your temps are going to jump up into the mid to high 80's which I don't recommend.

Try this at your own risk.

If you want to try a simple OC just set your CPU Frequency to 150 and your Memory Frequency/Ratio to 2:10 and try it. If it crashes just increase your CPU Vcore by a notch or 2 ( if you get an error message write it down). If it boots into Windows you'll want to run LinX again and see what your load temps are again. If they get close to 90 (really above 85) you should reduce the CPU Frequency a little and try it again. Keep us posted :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom