Getting the most bang for the buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bale

Beta member
I'm trying to build a new(er) system with a budget around $500. I have spent a great deal of time building systems from the ground up, but these have been "recycled" computers I build for a non-profit organization. I know how to build them, but the technology out today leaves a lot more confusing options when compared to those offered by a PII.

I need the following : CPU / Mobo / Ram / Video Card

All the other bases are covered, me thinks. Have a nice 19 inch monitor, good speaker system, 120g and 80g hard drives (IDE).

The system will primarily be used for graphic design and programming. Some gaming will occur (My wife wants the Sims2 bad), but would like to leave it sort of open to more in the future.

This system will sort of be a "life boat", if you will, until I get out of school. I plan on doing a major upgrade as a graduation present for myself, but that's about a year and a half away.

I guess I'm confused on a sliding scale. I could skimp out on one, leaving more money for another. But I (think) I realize that a $400 CPU would be kind of useless with only $100 to put into RAM/MOBO/Video.

I would appreciate any help on getting these sliders set at their optomized levels.

Thanks in advance

Bale

With a budget of around 500 you can get a resonable computer. It should be fine for everything but high end gaming. I can give you a good build layout, just let me know if you want an AMD or an Intel system.

That's one of the toughies.... Probably want to go for an Intel... But that is solely based on the stuff I have heard about the P4 being better for graphic/video editing.

I'm honestly not sure which chip is better for graphic/video editing, but both perform well on it. Personally I would suggest AMD, but that is just my opinion. It's up to you in the end. Give me a some price guidelines and I can give you a build to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom