I like to think I know a little bit about computers, but RAM is definitely one my lacking areas. I have a few questions about over-clocking and the performance of RAM. Many of these questions are just general questions, but I wanted to get advice from the over-clockers, as that's what I'm looking for in purchasing my next bit of RAM.
I know I have a lot of questions and if you know the answer to even one, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
1. What are 'RAM timings'? When browsing the RAM on Newegg, I see a lot of timings. 5-5-5-15, 4-4-4-12. What does it all mean?
2. Is there any specific timings I should be looking for when I purchase RAM?
3. Is there any one of those numbers that is more important than the others? Or do all of them play a factor in deciding which RAM to buy?
4. What is the voltage and how does it play a factor in RAM?
5. This motherboard says it doesn't support a lot of RAM (see Link A
). It says it requires specific timings and voltage. Is that true? Will lots of RAM actually not work with this?
6. How does over-clocking memory increase performance? I thought all there was to memory was a size.
7. I'm looking at building a new rig, and the memory the motherboard uses is DDR2 800. Is that good? What do these numbers mean? Is there better?
8. I'm sure there's things I've missed, so if there is any other information you can provide, I'll greatly appreciate it.
9. I also wouldn't mind links to articles and such that would help my understanding. I've used Google and read Wikipedia, but I still don't feel I have even close to a firm understanding of RAM.