General Overclocking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OverclockerzMan

A couple of questions before I overclock. I know a decent amount so I would like good answers please.

1.) Why are some motherboards better at overclocking than others? Whats so special about the DFI Lanparty motherboards? I know they have really complicated BIOS options, but will I actually overclock farther with a DFI motherboard than another one? Also, the chipset affects overclocking right? But if two motherboards have the same nForce4 Ultra or nForce4 SLI chipset, then won't they overclock the same?

2.) This one is simpler. How will I know the max of my CPU? I've heard some people say that their processor maxes out at like 2.6 Ghz or 2.5 Ghz or so, but how do they know that? Is it because their processor isn't 24-hour Prime stable?

Just stuff I'd like to know before my first overclock.

1) DFI has more choices, which you can tweak and customize, to get the perfect OC, they have like 10 ram timings, which i only have 4 on my MSI :(

the chipset thing, i dunno

2) usually you want it to be prime95 stable for 24-48 hours. and memtest and all that stuff stable.

Well, on my old Abit motherboard, I also had like 8 RAM timings, but I only messed with 4 of them, so does that mean that the old mobo was just as good as the DFI?

this isnt a chat room lol wait. the DFI board also has memtest86 built in the bios which is pretty neat.

But that still doesn't make it "THE Best overclocking motherboard in the world." I can get Memtest86+ from anywhere online. If I can overclock my processor just as far with another motherboard, then why would I go with one thats 5x more complicated?

pzerofgh, the quote in you profile says it all. If the Epox motherboard overclocked the processor farther than the DFI, then the Epox is better...

All I've heard so far is about more features, but nothing about the actual overclocking. If the motherboard doesn't overclock any better than other motherboards, then theres no reason to call it "The best overclocking motherboard."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom