geforce MX 400 being ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessiahNet

Solid State Member
Got a problem here. I recieved a used GeForce MX 400 64mb card from a friend. It's a decent little card. Or at least it should be. I am running Windows 98 on a PIII 866, 384MB RAM (tested with memtest86+ and everything checked out fine), no OCing, all BIOS settings are very conservative to eliminate room for errors. Every windows 98 update is installed (including dx 9.0c). I am using the nvidia geforce driver version 71.84. It's the most recent one at the moment. The mobo's BIOS is the most current one as well. When I'm browsing the web, or playing Counter-Strike, or whatever, I will get random clickings. What I mean by this is that the monitor seems to lose signal for a second. It is usually about one second only at a time that this happens. I'll be scrolling down a webpage in IE and I'll hear "click" from the monitor when the screen goes black and then another "click" from the monitor when the screen goes back to normal. The intervals vary. Sometimes it will do this once every 30 seconds, and sometimes once every 5 seconds. Ridiculous. I can't use the PC like this. It seems to happen the most when steam (valve) is running when I'm doing click-and-drags with IE or steam. I was excited about putting together a little PC out of these spare parts.

Okay have you tried another monitor, that's the first thing to do

Note for other people: His drivers are recent enough, dont tell him to go to 89's

If it happens on all monitors, it sounds like your card is going crazy with refresh rates, you can try setting different refresh rates (right click on desktop than properties, find out the rest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom