G'day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramkamhaeng

Beta member
Hi,

I'm new here. Interested in some of the finer points of overclocking my new i7 920. So far have a nice stable OC @ 3.8 GHz (stable defined as running all day on prime95 8 thread test). Can go higher but it gets too hot. I do lots of number crunching, CPU intensive stuff, so I'm really appreciating the speed of this system, and the 8 threads. Also good for games :)

Here's a summary of what I'm playing with at the moment (I'd put it in a signature but it seems us newbies aren't allowed signatures...)

i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz (multiplier 12-20, bclk 190, VCore = 1.27, everything else auto)
ASUS P6T Deluxe
Corsair Dominator 12800 @ 1530 MHz, 7-7-7-20
2 X GTX 260
ASETEK OEM liquid cooler (not recommended)
COSMOS S full tower

What I'd like to learn about here is what fine tuning I can do on some of the voltage and timing BIOS settings to get stable overclocks at lower VCore. At the moment I can go higher than 3.8 but my suck@#$se ASETEK cooler starts maxing out on temperature.

At 3.8 GHz with Prime95 running on 8 threads, I'm getting cores stabilizing at ~80 C, which seems hot compared to results others are getting with air. Idles in the mid 30's in ambient mid 20's, and under normal heavy use stays around the high 60's/low 70's.

Moved from the Intro area. Not the place to get support.

I'm going off of Aspire's recommendations here.

You will want to replace the oem loop. The only good water loops are ones you make yourself.

For a cpu block you will want to get a Swiftech GTZ.

A Swiftech MCR320 radiator and Swiftech Laing DDC MCP355 with a XSPC Reservoir-top

You can get his stuff from Petra's Tech Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom