Gaming NIC card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This card is a scam. Lag depends on your connection with your ISP or gaming server, not your NIC. Thats $250 that could be spend on something that really matters in gaming, like a better graphics card.

beedubaya said:
This card is a scam. Lag depends on your connection with your ISP or gaming server, not your NIC. Thats $250 that could be spend on something that really matters in gaming, like a better graphics card.

Exactly.

Someone could come out with a 100GBP/S NIC, but it wouldn't make a **** bit of difference with your average 4MBP/S internet connection. Most Ethernet ports now-a-days are 10/100MBP/s, or for the newer ones, 10/100/1000MBP/S, or for the better ones, 1GBP/S. Most people would never buy an OC12 line to play games, so you will never need that kind of speed.

the bottleneck is most definitely in the ISP service if you are talking about an NIC for use with a broadband connection. as it is 100MBPS really wouldn't even be a problem.

edit: after reading some of the things on the site i definitely think it's a rip off. sure some of the technologies they mention have potential but because they are so overpriced i don't think the potential will be realised through them. the concept of a network dedicated processor unit is quite smart. think of all networking activity and protocols being offloaded to an NIC rather than CPU then only a visual frontend is required for things e.g. DC++ and other file sharing utilities. i think this would certainly make sharing, leeching and gaming at LAN parties more enjoyable if it becomes main stream :p. just to re-iterate, technologies like this tend to never take off if they remain proprietary but if they become industry standard we'll be buying them for $20 in a year or so :)

i dont see why you would need to buy such an expensive, my new MoBo has two 10/100/1000MBP/S ports on it.

nitestick said:
the bottleneck is most definitely in the ISP service if you are talking about an NIC for use with a broadband connection. as it is 100MBPS really wouldn't even be a problem.

edit: after reading some of the things on the site i definitely think it's a rip off. sure some of the technologies they mention have potential but because they are so overpriced i don't think the potential will be realised through them. the concept of a network dedicated processor unit is quite smart. think of all networking activity and protocols being offloaded to an NIC rather than CPU then only a visual frontend is required for things e.g. DC++ and other file sharing utilities. i think this would certainly make sharing, leeching and gaming at LAN parties more enjoyable if it becomes main stream :p. just to re-iterate, technologies like this tend to never take off if they remain proprietary but if they become industry standard we'll be buying them for $20 in a year or so :)

And the only way it would do any good is if EVERYBODY at the LAN party, including the server had one of these. Still it wouldn't make much difference.

beedubaya said:
And the only way it would do any good is if EVERYBODY at the LAN party, including the server had one of these. Still it wouldn't make much difference.

Even then, you'd probably have to have special [expensive] network cables an' stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom