Gaming NIC card? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

ahh.. well i see that being pointless... how retarded

Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

This card is a scam. Lag depends on your connection with your ISP or gaming server, not your NIC. Thats $250 that could be spend on something that really matters in gaming, like a better graphics card.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
This card is a scam. Lag depends on your connection with your ISP or gaming server, not your NIC. Thats $250 that could be spend on something that really matters in gaming, like a better graphics card.
Exactly.

Someone could come out with a 100GBP/S NIC, but it wouldn't make a **** bit of difference with your average 4MBP/S internet connection. Most Ethernet ports now-a-days are 10/100MBP/s, or for the newer ones, 10/100/1000MBP/S, or for the better ones, 1GBP/S. Most people would never buy an OC12 line to play games, so you will never need that kind of speed.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

the bottleneck is most definitely in the ISP service if you are talking about an NIC for use with a broadband connection. as it is 100MBPS really wouldn't even be a problem.

edit: after reading some of the things on the site i definitely think it's a rip off. sure some of the technologies they mention have potential but because they are so overpriced i don't think the potential will be realised through them. the concept of a network dedicated processor unit is quite smart. think of all networking activity and protocols being offloaded to an NIC rather than CPU then only a visual frontend is required for things e.g. DC++ and other file sharing utilities. i think this would certainly make sharing, leeching and gaming at LAN parties more enjoyable if it becomes main stream . just to re-iterate, technologies like this tend to never take off if they remain proprietary but if they become industry standard we'll be buying them for $20 in a year or so
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

i dont see why you would need to buy such an expensive, my new MoBo has two 10/100/1000MBP/S ports on it.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Quote:
Originally posted by nitestick
the bottleneck is most definitely in the ISP service if you are talking about an NIC for use with a broadband connection. as it is 100MBPS really wouldn't even be a problem.

edit: after reading some of the things on the site i definitely think it's a rip off. sure some of the technologies they mention have potential but because they are so overpriced i don't think the potential will be realised through them. the concept of a network dedicated processor unit is quite smart. think of all networking activity and protocols being offloaded to an NIC rather than CPU then only a visual frontend is required for things e.g. DC++ and other file sharing utilities. i think this would certainly make sharing, leeching and gaming at LAN parties more enjoyable if it becomes main stream . just to re-iterate, technologies like this tend to never take off if they remain proprietary but if they become industry standard we'll be buying them for $20 in a year or so
And the only way it would do any good is if EVERYBODY at the LAN party, including the server had one of these. Still it wouldn't make much difference.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
And the only way it would do any good is if EVERYBODY at the LAN party, including the server had one of these. Still it wouldn't make much difference.
Even then, you'd probably have to have special [expensive] network cables an' stuff.

Closed Thread