Gaming Comp Build Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MemX Dave

Beta member
Well I have been looking around these forums for quite a while now, and finally I am gonna post something lol, and I need your opinions.

With a new gaming comp I am going to purchase, I have been looking around and see'ing other people's builds and this is what I came up with:

- Intel - Coreâ„¢2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz w/ 2x4MB Cache
- eVGA - nForce 680i SLI w/ DualDDR2 1200, 7.1 Audio, Dual GB Lan, 1394, Dual PCI-E x16 SLI
- CRUCIAL - BallistiX Tracer 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit w/ LED (2 x 1GB)
- Corsair - HX 520W Modular Power Supply w/ Triple +12V
- Thermalright - Ultra-120 eXtreme Aluminum Heatsink for P4-775 / AM2

and it comes to $929.70

and I will be adding to this comp:

- ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
- ATI 1950 (Until next pay check then I can buy a video card, which I need opinions on what I should purchase)

Good? Bad? What should I replace? Etc...

Thx!

Looks good.

The only thing I would change is the power supply. Although that PSU is plenty, I would opt for a little bit more juice...just so it's "future proof", and SLi-safe.

For a video card I would recommend the 8800GT/GTS/GTX/Ultra.

Looks pretty sweet. The video card, I would go with (as said above) the 8800 series. The EVGA superclocked GTS has gotten some great reviews :)

So for the PSU, should I just go for the single rail? Lets say

- Corsair TX 650W (Single +12v Rail) ?
or
- Enermax Infiniti 650W (or 720) SLI-Certified Power Supply w/ Triple +12V Rails, DXX-Ready

I would definantly stick with your first PSU choice, its a great PSU.

Seeing as the trend in computer components is towards less power consumption, the need for larger PSU's in common builds is falling.

Not only are GPUs taking less power (ie the 8800GT over the GTS) but things such as the HD are being tweaked in this area as well (Western digitals Intelli- stuff for example).

especially seeing as the Corsair 520 can run 8800GTS in SLI + peripherals I don't see why you should spend the extra for a 620, when the parts your upgrading to are going to be drawing less power in the future (assuming your upgrading to a 8800GT/9xxxx)

As for the rails, why have one when you could have 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom