Front Side Bus speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macadon

Solid State Member
If a processor is only a 400 fsb and the system board is a 800 fsb my front side bus is only going to be 400? Am I correct if not please help me to better understand

It will stay at 400 mhz, the lower of the two speeds is always what the computer will operate at. What processor/ motherboard combo are you looking at?

Nothing spectacular I'm still looking right now and this is one of the combo that's available but I'm not getting it. I thought the lower speed would be the one to take prority, that's why I asked.
I want a 800fsb
X-Caliber PT800DBP Motherboard and P4 2.8GHz Processor

I know nothing of Intels but I don't think you can just look at the processor FSB and motherboard FSB and be the same. Because Intels have the Hyper threading and quadra Pumping or something along those lines so that 400 actually turns into 800 I don't know though. Like I said I know NOTHING of Intels so I know theres someone who can shed some more light on it perhaps.

it will operate at 400Mhz, but with Hyper-Threading the processor works double the threads at once so it will basically work 800Mhz

Actually, the FSB is 200MHz and is quad pumped. When it's quad pumped, the 'effective' FSB is 800MHz.

To answer Macadon's question, If the CPU does have a FSB of 400MHz then it wont use the motherboard effectively. Try and get a CPU with 800MHz CPU. It'll still work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom