fridge cold PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraggle

Solid State Member
I had a thought last night (thats a first :p). I came up with the idea of sticking a PC inside one of them little mini fridges. I know the parts would fit inside, its just whether or not this is a viable idea, it would certainly solve heat problems.

any thoughts?

Now thats a great idea,the only thing is the cd drive and all that would have 2 go inside since you can't go cutting hole's in it because of the coolant,But if there's a will there's a way:)

The condensation generated inside a fridge would kill a PC in a matter of hours. Its better to cool a liquid externally, and then use a conventional water cooling system to run your cool water over your ‘hot bits’.

there must be a way to combat the condensation ... a mate of mine has these little condensation absorbing blocks all round his house ...

The capacity of water that a given mass of air can hold drops dramatically as you reduce its temperature, the packets your friend uses are likely Silica gel, but they would be unable to cope with the quantity of water condensed, unless you crammed the fridge full of them.

There are ways around it, there are hydrophobic sprays on the market you can use, but I would not trust them, you would still get condensation build-up inside the drives etc.

I am determined to make this happen, I just think it would look really funky, even if it turns out I cant have the fridge switched on, im still gonna look into making a PC inside the case unit.

Thanks for that, any other tips and thoughts are greatly welcome.

Like I mentioned earlier, the trick to make it work, would be to use the compressor/heat exchanger to cool a liquid, not the inside of the fridge.

The system essentially works like this; the compressor compresses a gaseous refrigerant which causes it to rise in temperature. The refrigerant, still in gaseous form and under high pressure, is sent to the condenser (a heat exchanger) where it is cooled down and condenses into a liquid (this is the phase change that occurs). The now liquid refrigerant is forced at high pressure through copper capillary tubing into an evaporator chamber which is a low pressure area, and evaporates back into gaseous form, absorbing heat in an endothermic reaction (it gets very cold).

The evaporator chamber in the system we are talking about is essentially another heat exchanger, allowing antifreeze laced coolant to be pumped through it, without contamination from the refrigerant. This in turn will be pumped through waterblocks on the CPU, Northbridge and the VGA card processor, in the same manner as a standard water cooling system. The advantage of the Phase Change system is that the evaporation chamber internal temperature will be about -40 degrees centigrade, giving a coolant temperature of between -15 and -30. This in turn will give a processor core temperature of about 0 to -10 degrees, (hopefully).

If you already have the fridge, £250.00 would be enough to sort out a good water cooling kit, and the evaporation chamber. Be aware that the refrigerant chemicals are quite unpleasant, and you don’t want to be letting them out.

Its already been done, I've seen the pictures on another forum. I'll have to try to find the url for that.

if u really want it like this... just get a compressor and get waterblocks to cool off ur whole PC. Thats really it.

it wasnt the coldness i was after, it was just the challenge and the look.

Thanks anywho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom