Found out something funny with my memory... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default Found out something funny with my memory...

So, this is the first time I've ever taken time to really go through and "fine tune" my memory. Sure I've OC'ed RAM before and gone for tighter timings, but not really for the lowest timings possible or highest frequency possible.

I thought I'd run Super PI 1M and see which settings allows me to get the fastest time in 1M

I've read a bunch of articles on low latency vs higher frequency and decided to see the different myself.

1200mhz @ 5-5-5-15 2T got me 14.238

800mhz @ 4-4-3-3 1T got me 14.219

The 400mhz drop but with much all around tighter timings got me the same performance as 1200mhz with looser timings.

Does anyone have any advice for what other programs would be good to test for RAM specifically. Besides the obvious XXMark benchies, Sisoft, etc?

Think it'd be worth it to find a medium and loosen up the timings and increase the frequency a bit? Think finding a medium might increase performance that's worth the time to do so?

EDIT: I should add I'm running Corsair Dominators 2GB DDR2-1066 2.2V, those are the factory settings. I haven't touched the voltage for oc'ing.

Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Found out something funny with my memory...

Check out memtest86 , and the Everest Memory benchmarking tool.
Other then that I have no clue about the settings on RAM ...
__________________ - Lifting one stone at a time.
Closed Thread