fixing memory timings after cpu overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update after several adjustments and no luck.

Any time I take memory timings off auto and tweak, bios doesn't even post and I need to power on/off to reset defaults. I've tried with Static Read Control disabled, still the same. I've tried 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15, keeping the memory speed at auto (running 350 core freq, 2.8ghz right now, so 700mhz memory speed).

Could it be I have 4 sticks that all need to stay stable? Should I increase the voltage to the memory? (right now it's 1.8v I think, which is what they're rated at). Or maybe this is just as good as it will get.

Anything else to try before giving up on the memory?

Have you tried to raise your memory mulitplier instead of raising your FSB. This will make it so you are no longer runnng a 1:1 ratio but you will not be underclocking your ram, also you could keep your old FSB speed. I'm guessing right now your memory multiplier is at 2. Try raising it to the next increment.

875 i would think, if the timings are the same, and your fsb is the same. c2d's aren't really limited like the old intels by not having a 1:1 ratio. thats a wives tale nowadays. hee hee.
ram spec IS 1.9V, at 5-5-5-12. to get to 4-4-4-12, he will need to up the voltage.
lol 2T sucks, jk. really 1T is better, especially for amd (irrelevant comment).

Good deal. Right now it's 750mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2v with 1:1 ratio, 350 core freq. I ran some simple benchmarks and will try going to 4:5 ratio for 875 mhz and we'll see what does better. I'll post back w/ results. I found some crap benchmark app that does a FAIR job. What do you recommend? I'm not really measuring 3d perf, so 3dmark might not be best. What's the consensus for best free general performance test?

i dont really do them, so i am definitely not the best to ask, sorry. i run 3dm06 when i do some real heavy card tweaking, other than that, its only stability testing for me. i think everest has a benchmarking section...?

First, thanks for all of your help the past few days. I've got my e6400 running at 2.7ghz, 38c idle - 42c orthos load. I did notice however that my memory settings/timings/speed has changed, and I'm not quite sure how to get that where it needs to be. It's DDR2 800, but isn't running where it should be. See attached cpu-z screens.

Specs for the memory are 5-5-5-12, DDR2 800, which I assume is 400mhz in cpu-z, but it's showing 334mhz and 5-6-6-18. So I know I need to do something to get it back to 800 and better timings, just not sure what. And on that note, should I just get it back to stock settings, or can I speed up the ram any? I do a lot of image editing (photoshop, illustrator, etc) so faster ram would probably be a nice boost as well.

Any help? Thanks again. almost where i want to be and with low (for 1 12cm fan and a freezer pro 7) temps I have room to play still.

pls can someone tell how to open cpu-z for windows vista? sorry iam noob :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom