fixing memory timings after cpu overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
First, thanks for all of your help the past few days. I've got my e6400 running at 2.7ghz, 38c idle - 42c orthos load. I did notice however that my memory settings/timings/speed has changed, and I'm not quite sure how to get that where it needs to be. It's DDR2 800, but isn't running where it should be. See attached cpu-z screens.

Specs for the memory are 5-5-5-12, DDR2 800, which I assume is 400mhz in cpu-z, but it's showing 334mhz and 5-6-6-18. So I know I need to do something to get it back to 800 and better timings, just not sure what. And on that note, should I just get it back to stock settings, or can I speed up the ram any? I do a lot of image editing (photoshop, illustrator, etc) so faster ram would probably be a nice boost as well.

Any help? Thanks again. almost where i want to be and with low (for 1 12cm fan and a freezer pro 7) temps I have room to play still.

Attachments

• ram.gif
    ram.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 265
  • cpu.gif
    cpu.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 284
he has a 1:1 ratio to his bus speed, thereby making it 334mhz. if his bus speed was 400mhz, then thats what the ram would run at.
are you sure the memory specs aren't 5-5-5-15?
in any event, with your memory speed set where it is you can lower the timings to AT LEAST 4-4-4-12-1T and probably 3-3-3-9-1T.
if you raise your fsb any more i suggest running them at 4-4-4-12-1T up to 400mhz, much more than that and you will likely have to raise the command rate to 2T.

Is the only way to change the bus speed to change the core speed? I changed the core freq from 340 to 370 and am now at just about 3 ghz. I didn't see a dedicated setting for bus speed, but changing the core freq increased my bus speed (c/o cpu-z) from 334 mhz to 369 mhz. At that rate I'll need to go to 3.3 ghz to get 400 mhz bus speed. Any other way to do it?

2nd ? There are a bunch of other settings with the memory, can be seen here - http://tinyurl.com/3xaetu Do I only need to change the first 4, to 4-4-4-12, or should anything else tweak along with it? I also see no option to switch from 2T to 1T?

And last question. The temps. I've increased my clock speed from 2.16 ghz to 3 ghz and really no change in temp. I actually lowered the core voltage to 1.25v after taking it off auto, and since, no temp change. Not a bad thing, just wondering if that's normal since the voltage is still low.

Thx

ran orthos with speedfan watching and nothing changed - looks like speedfan isn't reading my cpu. but running again with core temp and full load is 53-55c, not too bad. that's in 1st 10 min. Will let it run a while and keep and eye on things.

Is the only way to change the bus speed to change the core speed? I changed the core freq from 340 to 370 and am now at just about 3 ghz. I didn't see a dedicated setting for bus speed, but changing the core freq increased my bus speed (c/o cpu-z) from 334 mhz to 369 mhz. At that rate I'll need to go to 3.3 ghz to get 400 mhz bus speed. Any other way to do it?

2nd ? There are a bunch of other settings with the memory, can be seen here - http://tinyurl.com/3xaetu Do I only need to change the first 4, to 4-4-4-12, or should anything else tweak along with it? I also see no option to switch from 2T to 1T?

And last question. The temps. I've increased my clock speed from 2.16 ghz to 3 ghz and really no change in temp. I actually lowered the core voltage to 1.25v after taking it off auto, and since, no temp change. Not a bad thing, just wondering if that's normal since the voltage is still low.

Thx

core frequency corresponds to bus speed. no, there's no other way to get your bus speed to 400mhz, other than making your core speed 400mhz.

you dont need to change anything other than the first timings listed, until you know how they affect everything (i aint gonna get into it).
1T and 2T should be listed somewhere under "command rate" or some such. sorry, i dont know intel mobos.

low temps = good. i'd get another utility and correlate the temps with my bios readings. sometimes sensors or utilities are faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom