Fish Tank PC - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Old 09-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Fish Tank PC

Again - the hardest thing is to prevent leaks, spills, on electronics. What type of fish tank set up= salt vs fresh vs brackish. Heat is a killer for fish and electronics - so must have a great cooler system. I think it must be a fresh water setup as the salt stuff is too sensitive. How big? The gallons of water to fish ratio must be high = not many fish and for them to be able to swim through the tubes ( very neat) they must be small. Unfortunately, small fresh water fish don't live that long- so you have to be able to somehow reach in and remove debris( waste, uneaten food, etc) and the eventual dead fish. You could do this or prevent this by having enough current to cause it to collect in a certain place and then use a type of water vacuum.

acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

Just as a side note, the dude who built the rig at Quakecon said it was a big pain in the *** to build and maintain.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Just as a side note, the dude who built the rig at Quakecon said it was a big pain in the *** to build and maintain.
Most things in life that are worth doing or are kinda badass are. My problem is I like the challenge more than I want the item. Once I built it I would not care about it anymore and be looking for something new.
the1truegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Grinch

An aquarium on its own requires a lot of care, throwing fish into a PC will make it even more of a hassle... I feel very sorry for the two Bala Sharks sitting inside that PC Aquarium considering the amount of room they require to properly grow.

That aside, pick a fish species that can tolerate a WIDE temperture range... You have to make sure of two things, 1, the computer heat doesn't cause the fish tank water to get hot... Two, use small fish such as cheap neon tetras. Stay away from "dirty" fish. Second, you have to figure out how to filter and aerate the water for the fish, hence the reason you want to stay away from things like Bala Sharks, and Goldfish... They are very... well, they love to poop and create a mess of filters. Last but not least, do NOT use the fish-tank water to cool the tower, you WILL cook the fish.

In all honesty, the reason it isn't done is because once PROPER research is done, most realize that doing such a thing puts severe stress on the animal, as well as once people realize the care it takes to keep them alive with-out having a PC in the mix... Most just ditch it. Oh, don't forget how heavy it will become.

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote