Fish Tank PC

the1truegamer

In Runtime
I've done a a few searches for this over the years but I've never seen a quality rig like what I want to build so I'm throwing it out here to see if you all have seen anything like it. I want to build a PC with a usable fish tank built into it. To be clear, I'm not talking about an oil submerged PC in a fish tank, or a fish tank with a MOBO and hardware behind it. I want an actual fish tank built into/around a working PC. My idea is that the tank itself would be built near the hardware and the tank would have tubes (clear tunnels) that would go through the case and around the hardware so fish could swim through your case. Some cool lighting could really set it up nice. I know water and electronics don't mix, but that's not the point. Has anyone ever seen a really well done fish tank PC?

hmmm- have been into aquariums for a long time - had 3 salt water reefs running at one time a few years ago- decided to shut um down due to electricity costs. Never saw a setup like your describing. Sounds interesting , but as you stated electronics and water don't mix.

I haven't had an aquarium in a long time but i want one again. I've been thinking about this idea for like 10 years and i know i'm not the first. But anytime i search for it i just find kinda so so implementation. I would like to look into a real PC case and see fish swimming around in front of my mother board. Maybe a window in in a few of the drive bays as well. I'm going to have to do some homework on this. If anyone has any links to well done rigs like this, let me know.

One issue I can see is temperature from the components. Either the components themselves not able to breath, or (if you don't get the right kind of fish) harming the fish. It would have to be a constant temp as well.

I'm thinking it would have to be a liquid cool system. In fact the tubes could run through tank as well. I'm going to have to search out some custom fish tank forums and learn that trade. Were really talking about mixing two skills here. I think the end product could be really cool. PP, do you have anymore angles on that case? I'm wondering what the front looks like. From what i can see it looks like its liquid cooled and there is a rad in the bottom.

Interesting idea - i too have been into fish and have had saltwater and freshwater tanks but never have i seen something like that.

Do you have the ability to get custom acrylic parts? If so you could get really creative with your design. If not, you are probably going to be stuck using a fish tank and submerging the individual parts in air tight areas.

The concept is really cool - i think the hardest thing would be to come up with a design using acrylic that takes advantage of air flow designs yet allows fish to swim throughout.

Without custom acrylic, i think it would just look clunky IMO.

This has me thinking - I am "chomping at the bit" for a new project as my health issues have caused me to not be able to work as much as I have in the past. I have a 180 gallon "starfire" tank in my shed. If i don't make it a reef tank the electric bill wont double. I can design a water tight glass housing with the back wall being able to open to run wiring ... Hmmm...

The wife may have a fit - it took her 23 years of marriage before I did not have a tank running in our residence. She likes the fish/coral visually , but hates the eventual spill, evaporation humidity, expense, etc.

I'm going to do some research, I believe you can order acrylic tubes. I have no idea how hard it would be to install the. From a few videos i watched building the tanks doesn't seem too hard. Also i found something called a water bridge last night which might be usable as a pass through. Maybe a small one that goes through the drive bay area.

Back
Top Bottom