first timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow changed it to 133/133mhz like u sugested and now my cpu speed is 1.39GHz and now it my cpu name and stuff is al showing correctly

AMD athlon XP 1600+

thanks for your help and time appreciate it but one more thing how cna i check the temp of my CPU now just to be safe?

Download SpeedFan or Everest Home Edition.
I suggest Everest Home Edition because SpeedFan is extremely limited on system info.
In Everest go to computer>sensors.

I got that CPU up to 1.63GHz stable. But it really depends on the motherboard. On a newer versions of my motherboard (wich I fried some time ago) I could only hit 1.58GHz. Probably because at this older board my cheap memory isn't giving any trouble because it is heavily underclocked.

But you should first check the temps, post them here. Then start testing its stability by running CPU and graphics intesive tasks like games, 3DMark, Prime95 etc.

You should also take a look in Everest at what kind of memory your system uses. This is important to know when overclocking.

If temps are OK you can also overclock by increasing the CPU's multiplier instead of the FSB. This is safer as it won't force the memory to run at a faster speed. For this the CPU's multiplier requires to be "unlocked" though. You can try changing the multiplier in the BIOS. If it won't boot it is probably locked. You can unlock it, but I would first read some tutorials about "unlocking athlon XP".

Some motherboards also feature a memory/AGP divider. This way you could slow down the memory to be able to increase the FSB without damaging it.

k its on 48 degrees celcius so its working great and this everst software is good to many thanks youve made my day :D

guys... there's something common on socket A motherboards. There's a jumper similar to that of the one you use to clear the bios. My girlfriend's had a jumper that you move from 100mhz fsb to 133mhz fsb. That might very well be the problem.

Ryan

ok but i just tell you what it says on the manual becuase everest shows loads of number s and stuff and im sure you only want the model and manufacturer

ATX Mainboard - k7t266 pro (MS-6380)

Ok, we almost have the same motherboard as well. I have k7t266 Pro2 (MS-6380 v.2.0)

You should try increasing the CPU multiplier in the BIOS to see if the multiplier is unlocked. Just increase it by 1. I think in the BIOS you can choose 10.5x, 11.5x/12x, 13x, 14x, etc. Set it at 11.5x/12x, or at 11x if you have that option. If the multiplier is locked the system will probably not boot. You will have to reset the CMOS by changing the position of the JBAT battery on your motherboard (see manual).
If you don't have the manual, look it up on www.msi.com.tw or google.

If you don't want to use the multiplier you will have to overclock using the FSB frequency (i have to BIOS my multiplie is locked). It will be at 133MHz now. On the same page in the BIOS you will have to enable custom FSB frequency by setting it to "user". It is probably set to "auto" at this time.

You will need to know what type of memory you have when overclocking by increasing the FSB frequency. Look in Everest under "motherboard>SPD". If it is PC2100 memory (133MHz) you should choose HC-33 in the BIOS (still same page) if you want to make sure your memory won't limit your overclock. It will downclock teh memory with 33MHz, so it will run at 100MHz instead of 133MHz. If you have PC2700 or PC3200 memory you don't have to set the memory speed to a lower value.

Increase the FSB, use small increments. Start by setting it at 140MHz. Reboot, and check temps in Windows. Run a game. Should be stable. Reboot, seti it to 145MHz. Boot to Windows and check stability again. After that start increasing by 1 or 2 MHz at the time. I am running at 154MHz at the moment, but that does not mean your system will work at that speed as well.
If Windows freezes when playing games, or just when using Windows, you will have to increase the voltage. The default voltage is 1.760 if you have a CPU with Palomino core. Increase it only if the system freezes. Use small increments. Start with 1.775v. If that won't help try 1.800v. I have mine at 1.800v, but if you need less to be stable it is better.

Always check the temperatures when playing games and such. I would stop if it gets higher than 55-58 when playing games.

Overclocking using the multplier is safer because it does not affect the memory speeds, but FSB overclocking is more effective (better overall performance).

Overclock at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom