First Time Overclocking...Not Working at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
So I've done a few hours of research on the matter and I decided last night to try a mild overclock.

I have an Asus A8N-E Mobo w/ a 3800+ x2 (see the rest of my specs in my sig).

So in my bios I have "Jumperfree" which is a built-on overclocking thing.

So just to test the waters, I upped the clock frequency from 200 to 205.

Booted my computer, ran CPU-Z, showed my computer still running a 2.009 GHz.

Fine, I thought. Maybe it needs a little more kick.

Go back to Bios, set from 205 to 210. Restarted. Cpu-Z. same thing. 2.009GHZ.

So now just to see if I could get anything to change, I went back to Bios, set voltage to 1.45v (JUST TEMPORARY TO SEE IF IT WOULD "REGISTER," PLease, no one get your panties in a twist).

Load CPU-Z, still stuck at 1.36 v. I run some applications, encode an MP3 with CPU-Z running. Same ish. 2.009GHZ, 1.36v v-core.

So now I decide that if I can't get it to overclock, I'll see if I can crash the computer (Basically I wanted to see if the jumperfree setting were doing ANYTHING.)

So I up the clock speed to 250 and lower the voltage back to standard.

Computer won't boot. Freezes post-bios.

Put everything back to default, computer runs fine.

What am I doing wrong?

THanks guys.

Oh, and I forgot to include that I also tried lower the multiplier from 10x to 8x, and CPU-Z still showed it at 10x.

I would say the problem is with the Jumperfree thing that you are talking about. Don't use it and just use the standard BIOS overclocking utilities.

Actually JumperFree isnt a built in OC'ing utility. Its the has all the things you do to OC your CPU in there FSB, multi, vcores,etc.

Ok,

WHen I say I'm "using" jumperfree - that's where all the vcore, HTT, and mem speed settings are in my bios. I go to "Advanced" and then hit "enter" on jumperfree. Where else in the bios can alter these settings?

Also, it's getting even odder. I tried the "A.I. Overclock 10%" in the menu, and the computer ran noticeably faster and a little hotter while playing a game.

I then turned off "A.I. Overclock" and put on "A.I. N.O.S. Overclock" in the bios and my computer wouldn't boot windows.

I turned it down to "A.I. Overclock 8%," and now it works, and the system flies - but again, it's running a little hotter (1 - 3 degrees celcius).

Heres the wierd part though - apart from the temp increases, both of my monitoring programs (CPU-Z and Sensorview Pro) still show 201Mhz FSB and a 10x multiplier. MOreover, they still show the voltage at a constant 1.36v.

SOMETHNG is being made faster in my system - or at the very least something is being altered because when I push it too far my system won't boot. BUt it's not showing up in the monitoring programs.

What's the deal?

More weirdness...

So,

I set it on N.O.S. 5x Overclock (the highest it will go and remain stable). WHen I run any stressful programs, the CPU-Z shows the HTT jumping to 210. Voltage stays at 1.36. Great, that part works.

So again I go back to manual overclocking, can't get it to work. At least I can't get the HTT thing to work. At least not correctly.

Here is where it gets REALLY wierd -

so I set vcore to 1.45, and HTT to 2.20.

Run the computer. Run CPU-Z. Stock values. Crap.

But then I tried encoding video, and it jumped to 2.40 HTT and 1.76 Volts!!!! It did this for like 3 seconds, then went back to normal.

Something is wrong here. How do I fix it? SHould I contact Asus?

um by the looks of it you don't know how to manually OC in the bios so if i were you id set everything back to normal and then read up on some guides

Agreed.

Don't depend on programs, depend on your knowledge. Change the memory speed to YOUR own liking.

Look guys, I understand you're trying to help.

BUT PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING.

Here is a summary for those that don't care to read the whole thing:

1) I tried over and over again manually in the bios and the changes weren't being reflected once Windows booted - it was as if Windows had some sort of safeguard (I know it's impossible) and was clocking everything back to stock. When I rebooted and went to the BIOS, it still showed the overclocked values. BUt CPU-Z a few otjher programs still showd HTT at 201, Multiplier at 10x, and voltage at 1.36v.

However, as stated, just to test if ANY of the BIOS settings were "sticking," I cranked it up to a level that I knew would crash my system. My system wouldn't boot. THerefore, on some level, the bios-changes are working.

2) In desperation I figured "hey, let's see if the bios-installed software can get this **** thing to overclock." I tried "AI Overclock" set to 10%. Computer seemed a little quicker, but CPU-Z still registered stock readings.

3) Finally, I tried "A.I. NOS OVERCLOCK." At 8% and 10% the system wouldn't boot. However, at 5%, when I would load teh system (like encoding video) the HTT WOULD jump to 210, the voltage to 1.42, and the multiplier stayed at 10.

4) I went back to manually overclock. Tuned down mem frequency to 333MHZ. HTT to 220. Vcore to 1.42. Multipler at 10x. HT at 4x. Should work perfectly. Booted Windows, all timings went back to stock EXCEPT voltage which stayed at 1.42 for some odd reason.

I've done a little research. It seems that Sata300 hard drives (like mine) have been known to "lock" at any HTT ABOVE 220. However, even at 210 my system wouldn't "register."

So please, I've tried everything. I have a recent BIOS (the most recent). I even reinstalled the BIOS - and same crap.

Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom