First time building computer... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default First time building computer...

I've been building a new computer for myself two days no, finally got all the wires hooked up right and everything, but I boot up, it goes through a few checks, gives me some errors, then shuts down. (This is my first time building a computer, so I am inexperienced, though I do know the basics such as BIOS and whatnot)

"Serial_Ch01 Master: No Device"
"Serial_Ch02 Master: No Device"
"CMOS Checksum, Bad"
"CPU Fan Error"
"No drive attatched to FastTrack controller, no BIOS installed"

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these problems, because I have no idea, any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Do you know how to reset the bios?

Old 02-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Absolutely not :-\

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe, I am reading the manual it has several ways but I am unclear which one to use, if they are what I should use, they all say "Updating BIOS", none say "Install BIOS". Please help!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Look for something that says Clear CMOS.... that should do it... I know when i got that error Clearing the CMOS fixed it...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks, I'll try it, anyone know about the other errors?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm not sure about this because im still new to computers, but do you have SATA HDD's or IDE Hdd's?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

First two lines are simply telling you that you haven't connected any SATA drives to the RAID controller - but you know that already. The last message is for information purposes only. It's there in case you had attached drives but the BIOS can't see them. Ignore it if you only have IDE drives.

CMOS checksum error. I've seen this after a BIOS flash. Sometimes you can enter the BIOS and exit and the error will go away. If it doesn't, think about upgrading the firmware by downloading the new BIOS from the manufacturers web site. Proceed with caution. I turned a MB into a paper weight with a BIOS flash just this past weekend.

Is your CPU fan running and is the plug secured to the motherboard? Enter the system monitor in your BIOS and see if it can detect the Fan Speed and CPU temp.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Checksum error is common with AMD cpus. Just go into your bios and select 'Load Optimized Defaults' to get rid of that one, and probably some others you are recieveing.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm going to try all your suggestions tonight and I'll update you tomorrow
Old 02-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

*sigh*

I don't know why but all of a sudden I can't even get to BIOS, it just shuts down when I try to get into it. Also, about the SATA/RAID controller deal, I have two SATA (slots I guess you call them) & two RAID slots. What would I connect, the two SATA's together, or one SATA & one RAID together, or how would that work?

Also, the fan is spinning and it even lights up (yay) it also shows the temperature in BIOS (when I could get to BIOS)

I lost the memory card for my digital camera, but if I find it I'll try to load it. In the meantime, here is a link
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm

Closed Thread