First Time 940 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Finally got my heatsink problems sorted out mostly figured I'd try over clocking a bit. My motherboard had this little overclock utility in the bios (biostar 790gx).

I was curious as to how well that would work, choose the second "v8" setting. Booted up fine, cpu-z said it was at 3.46ghz (forgot to save the screenshot, all I can remember). Started running prime95, in-place large TFFT's, was going fine for about 20-25 minutes, so I opened up msn out of boredom. Went for another 10 minutes or so and the screen looked like one giant artifact for a second and the system restarted. Was it possibly msn that over worked the cpu and caused it to restart? or just bad OC settings made by the auto utility?

Guessing that meant it was unstable :p Temps were at 47 when it ended so it wasn't a heating problem. Anyone else tried the auto-overclock on biostars? I'm gonna try just increasing the cpu multiplier manually now, afraid that auto might screw something up.

yeah also increase the Vcore a bit (not too much though) and perhaps add a little on the NB for more stability......don't worry about messing anything up, as long as you dont make huge jumps in any value it should be fine. Also if it wont post just clear the CMOS

The overdrive settings are rubbish, easy enough to do it on your own.

My 24/7 OC is just upping the multiplier to get 3.7ghz, and at the moment I'm running solid on a 1.525 vcore. Don't have to mess with any other voltages.

Well I've got my 940 running at 3.4ghz now (been really hot outside lately and no AC, so I backed it down a bit). Anyways I've come to the conclusion that I need to do something with my case.

With the side panel on it idles at 37-39c, with it leaning against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so my temps drop down to 31-33c. I have this case Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
It was cooling fine with the stock heatsink, but the core contact doesn't exhaust upwards. It's messing up the airflow and raising temps a lot.

I'm gonna go pick up a 90mm fan to stick in the front and see if that does anything. Otherwise would it be better to try new fans and change which way they blow/suck or to just deal with the side panel being off and save up for a HAF or another new case?

Yeah play around the with the fans. Optimally you want just as many intake fans as exhaust and have them moving across the entire case, ex. have a fan blowing in on the front of the case, and one blowing out on the back so it goes straight through.

Yeah Pretty sure all of the fans are sucking air out other than the core contact's which is blowing it towards the front. My psu fan blows right onto the core contact's heatsink as well, which contributes a fair bit of heat I bet.

I guess to change direction you just have to unscrew them and place them on the other way? They're just all connected to a 4-pin power cord.

That 24 hour edit is really annoying... Well I went to a local store and picked up an 80mm zalman fan to put on the side panel. Now I can't close the case anymore :( fan touches the core contact's heatpipe pillars that stick up. But it's not that bad, propped up against the wall and maybe 4-5 cm away from the heatsink blowing right onto it. Lowered my temps from 31-33 idle to 28-30. That's with it running off this resistor cable that lowers the RPM down to 1700 instead of 2800 max. With it running at max I idle at 26-27 to 28-29, but its rather loud with the side panel off.

Also the second side panel 120mm coolmaster fan isn't spinning at the moment. Have to remove my vidcard to get to the last 3pin port, but I'm quite impressed with this little fan. Costed $13.45 but thats local markups for ya. I now plan on replacing the other fans since they seem to be rather lousy, what are the best cost/performance 120mm fans out there? I've heard yate loons and scythes are good.

Not available in Canada, although I could ship them to border, another $3 for the place to hold them plus a 40 min drive.. Anything near that on the .ca site? Just cause driving that far for 3 fans...

I would remove the side air duct and replace it with a fan.

Your PSU exhausts into the case...? WTF? It should draw air from the case and exhaust out the back. You might want to look into a case mod of cutting a hole in the top and flipping your PSU over so it is drawing/blowing to the outside.

This one seems to be a good balance between CFM and noise.
Newegg.ca - Scythe DFS123812-2000 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom